What killed my peppermint shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 2 peppermint shrimp, a hermit crab and some dragons breath algae all at the same time abt 3 weeks ago to start the cycle of my seahorse tank. Everything seemed to be doing fine the shrimp had even molted!! Then I got the start of a diatom bloom and it started to cover the tank by a lot. Last Wednesday I went on vacation and wad told that the diatoms will be fine and it won't hurt any of the shrimp and the hermit crab. I got back late last night (didn't check the tank) and this morning woke up to one of the shrimp completely gone, it's like he just disappeared and the other shrimp dead. I don't know what could of happened because the hermit crab is still alive and the dragons breath it growing rapidly. Any ideas what had happened to them

IMG_8531.jpgIMG_8532.jpg IMG_8530.jpg

You killed them by buying them to cycle the tank. Shrimp are sensitive creatures that require stable tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with red. This tank hasn't been up and running long enough to support any sensitive creatures.
With that being said, you most likely won't want such creatures in a seahorse tank. They will be quick enough to take food away from them.

I agree with red. This tank hasn't been up and running long enough to support any sensitive creatures.
With that being said, you most likely won't want such creatures in a seahorse tank. They will be quick enough to take food away from them.

I had the tank running for a full month before I even put anything in is that still to early? I made a post a couple weeks ago and many people told me that putting shrimp in there was a good idea, I guess not :(. I wasn't planing on putting them in the tank with the seahorses, I was just gonna have two kudas and a pipefish for cleaning. Should I wait to get clownfish then? I was planing on getting them next weekend. My hermit crab it doing great in there, are the shrimp that sensitive?

They are that sensitive. Without being properly acclimated from one system to another can cause them to die. The process alone causes them to molt.
If this system has been cycled, then you should be clear to add a fish to it. But, when it comes to putting a shrimp into the system are we sure that we aren't talking about using a cocktail shrimp to cycle the system and not something like a cleaner shrimp?

They are that sensitive. Without being properly acclimated from one system to another can cause them to die. The process alone causes them to molt.
If this system has been cycled, then you should be clear to add a fish to it. But, when it comes to putting a shrimp into the system are we sure that we aren't talking about using a cocktail shrimp to cycle the system and not something like a cleaner shrimp?

Ok, so then what should I do to make the cycle complete and how would I know?

Did you present an ammonia source? Either pure ammonia or a cocktail shrimp will do the trick. You are aiming for any ammonia to be undetectable in 24 hours when you test.

Did you present an ammonia source? Either pure ammonia or a cocktail shrimp will do the trick. You are aiming for any ammonia to be undetectable in 24 hours when you test.

I had a spike, a really high one. I put fish pellets in a fish net and let it sit there for 2 days and it was gone after the 2 days.

If that was too long ago the bacteria could have died off. Was there a water change regiment to bring all the nitrates and phosphates down from the food that was added?

If that was too long ago the bacteria could have died off. Was there a water change regiment to bring all the nitrates and phosphates down from the food that was added?

Yes I did one after the fish food was gone and I did one yesterday

Were you saying Clownfish and seahorses together? The Clownfish would eat all the food and can be bullies.

What size tank are you using?

No I am gonna cycle with clownfish.

I'm putting 2 kudas and a pipe fish in the 20 gallon tank, that's it

Yes, so easy, and not worry about injuring or killing the fish. Raw chunk of shrimp, rinsed well drop it in.

So today I went to the fish store and talked to a very very experienced saltwater fish owner that worked there. He gave me a kh tester, ph booster and a bottle of bacteria and some new pads for my canister filter. I put the whole bottle of bacteria in and added 14 ml of the ph booster. He said the bottle of bacteria will get rid of the bad kind and replenish the good kind since the shrimp had died. I am a little bit confused on the kh tester. It took 16 drops for it to turn yellow!! I'm not sure if that's good or not (I was confused on how he explained it to me).

additives you really don't need them , adding additive especially not knowing anything about them can and will cause issues your not ready to tackle ,

a peppermint shrimp wouldn't even give a big enough spike to start a cycle , now a deli shrimp would get you started with a good spike , bacteria in a bottle garbage it's like adding sewer water to your tank and a total waist of money IMO .

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

why risk a 20/25 dollar fish to cycle when a simple 25 cent deli shrimp from the grocery store can get you through a faster more efficient cycle , fish in cycles need constant supervision and maintenance and are more stressful for both you and the fish.

clerks in fish shops tend to push stuff not needed just taking money out of your pocket that could have been used for a future fish or coral , most clerks prey on people especially when they see your new to the saltwater world . they see those easy dollar signs and take advantage ,

now everyone here are trying to guide you in the easiest direction to get your tank up and running , all of us have been where you are now , we all experienced the good and the bad as we went through this once , we want you to succeed rather than fail ,

ask questions lot's of them learn as much as you can it will not only help you now but many years down the line , who knows this can be you passing on the advice , we all had success with our tanks for one reason , why because we listened to others who already faced most of those unknown issues , you didn't encounter these yet take advantage of everyone's experiences . they will help save you from issues that could be avoided ,

you deserve to have a tank you can be proud of like everyone here , you will not find a better group of people who care about fish than everyone here , remember you have a place to get any and all the help you need ,

look forward to seeing you on the forums , remember even though you may come across a question that seems stupid asking about it just may save you a big headache you may encounter,

good luck with your tank and hope you can enjoy it as all of us enjoy ours(y)
Save

Don't worry about testing for kh. Also don't worry about adding anything when it comes to pH. With proper flow in the system it will sit where it needs to. Using additives to control pH can throw kh out of whack and all sorts of other problems.
The bottled bacteria is usually a controversial topic, but I think that it can be beneficial as long as it isn't a bottle that sits on a shelf for months on end. This stuff can die of starvation. In this case, it is being attempted to replace a cycle. It can be used in assistance, but not a replacement IMO. I would still provide either a pure ammonia source or a cocktail shrimp. Then test in 24 hours and see where things are.

Don't worry about testing for kh. Also don't worry about adding anything when it comes to pH. With proper flow in the system it will sit where it needs to. Using additives to control pH can throw kh out of whack and all sorts of other problems.
The bottled bacteria is usually a controversial topic, but I think that it can be beneficial as long as it isn't a bottle that sits on a shelf for months on end. This stuff can die of starvation. In this case, it is being attempted to replace a cycle. It can be used in assistance, but not a replacement IMO. I would still provide either a pure ammonia source or a cocktail shrimp. Then test in 24 hours and see where things are.

So 26 hours after I added the bacteria I see some results!! IMG_8596.jpg

I fee like the ammonia has went down a little bit ( it looks kinda darker in the picture than it does in real life) the ph in still worried about. I have a good ph booster and I used it yesterday. It went up but then today it seemed to go down again :/ I don't know what to do, any ideas?

I'm not sure why the picture shows twice hahaha but thank you to everyone's responses and help in this thread :)

Back
Top Bottom