when can I start trying corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like some opinions.

My 40gallon tank is a month old today (since I added the first fish that is).

I have no ammonia, no nitrite, my nitrates haven't exceeded 10ppm.
phosphate .5ppm
calcium 350ppm
Alk: 3.0 meq/l
pH: 8.2 when I'm measuring early in the evening.

I'd love to get some shrooms and see what happens. I realize my phosphate should be 0ppm...I think I'm simply over feeding a bit, so I've been tryign to watch that better.

What do you think? Is it a bad idea to try any coral until I get my phosphate to 0ppm, and up the alk and calcium a smidge?

I have read on here that the time frame should be about a year...however I dont know if this is for ALL corals or specifics...I would think 4-6 months for sure on the shrooms.

hmmm...I was only told to wait that long before adding an anenome. I got the impression that the soft 'easy' corals were considerably easier to keep and propagate.
guess I'll wait for others to chime in.

I had coral in my tank after about 4 months. As soon as all of my levels stablized I started to adding easy corals. Sofites and some LPS(favia) and such. But I know people that add coral a lot sooner without any problems. The only this that I lost in my tank was a Digitata that I know over behind a rock. Now I have about 35 corals in my tank. But just chose your corals well. I went nuts and just bought corals eventhough they weren't the nicest. Now I have way too many big corals in my tank. and way too many LPS (LT plate,Frogspawn,hammer,candy cane,bubble) I am always move over corals out of the way so they don't get stung.

but you need to get that calcium up.

Don't know much about corals (FO guy). But that PO4 may give you some algae troubles. Need to get that down too.
oops sorry, reread the post. I see your addressing it.

Added a few months after cycle...
shroom.JPG

slugplaying.jpg

Yep I am having some mild algae issues, directly related to the PO4 levels. I may pickup some phos-absorbing media to get rid of the excess, and then see if I can maintain a near 0.0ppm reading between water changes.
but at least my turbo's have something to snack on.

I think it's probably a good idea to get those levels under control first, but after that I don't see why you couldn't have a go with a couple nice hardy starter corals.

I added a few mushroom rocks, Ricordias, and various other softcorals in a 12gal Nano over a two week period, immediately following the initial cycle and all are well 1 yr later. Just stay away from the anemones and a few of the hard corals and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom