New fish not moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah D

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I am new to this site (and somewhat new to fish keeping in general) and hoping someone has advice about my new fish. Answers to all “unhealthy fish” standard questions are below. Summary: I have a 10 gallon tank that until a month ago housed a single female betta. I’m 99% positive she died of swim bladder disease after accidental over feeding. The tank was/is fully cycled but had recently (starting in late December) started to develop algae growth, so I decided to try to treat that before introducing new fish. I used Aqueon Algae Remover once a week for 3 weeks, and the last dose was over a week ago. Yesterday we got two new fish: a golden panda Molly and a gold platty, both about 1.5 inches long. I floated them in their bag in the tank for an hour and then used a net to transfer them into the tank. I tested the water before adding them (API freshwater test kit) and got pH 7.6, Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 5ppm. They seemed fine and were exploring the tank for about 2 hours but then both started resting in various spots and today they are still not really moving. They are both breathing, but are not active at all and were just resting on the bottom of the tank, so I pulled them out and put them in a smaller tank with just treated water, but they still aren’t really moving. I have no clue what might be causing this and would appreciate any help or advice you can give! I don’t want to lose my new fish!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? 1 young molly and 1 young platty; both are inactive to the point of not moving after being added to my tank.
2~What are your tank parameters? Ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 5 ppm, temp 76 deg F, pH 7.6
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 10 gallons, set up in summer 2021 and fully cycled since August 2021. It has a medium size house and two fake plants, and gravel on the bottom. It also has a heater and thermometer.
4~What type of filtration are you using? AquaClear/Fluval 30 filter with the following inserts in order from bottom to top: poly foam, charcoal, biomax, poly foam
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 2 fish added yesterday (1.5” Molly and platty); 1 female 1.5” betta until she died in early February
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? I did a partial (25%) water change the day after my betta died and vacuumed the gravel then. We fed her only as much as she ate so there was never a lot of debris; I typically did this type of change every 3-ish weeks while we had her.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? The Molly and platty were purchased yesterday. I floated them in the tank in their bag for about an hour before using a net to transfer them.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Nothing is new or changed in the last month except the algae treatment. I have done 3 doses of Aqueon Algae Remover; one a week for 3 weeks, the last dose was around March 10th
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I have not yet fed the new fish

Back
Top Bottom