Will i have a cycle. Going from a 20g to a 135g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will use the old sand to seed and be using all my live rock from that tank. I have cured dry rock that I am adding along with new sand. My live stock is 2 damsels 1 maroon clown 1 Picasso trigger 1 coral banded shrimp 3 hermit crabs 2 snails and a few small local crabs my son caught. My lighting For the New tank will be 120w full spectrum dimmable. I have a Sump sump as well that will be a refugium.

I'm not sure but I would. You are adding a lot more rock that isnt cured and your BB has to build up. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

I'm not sure but I would. You are adding a lot more rock that isnt cured and your BB has to build up. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

I am going to be using the bb in a bottle and all my live rock that is dry has been cured.

Hopefully someone will jump in. I'm about to set up a 150 and I'm getting a deal on130# of Fiji live rock from someone getting out of the hobby. I plan on cycling mine for a couple weeks at least. Never can be to careful in this hobby

If the new sand you are using is live sand you'll see a cycle. If you are going to add the fish make sure you keep up on water changes to keep ammonia and nitrates down.

If you transfer all the live rock from your old tank the same time you transfer the fish there MIGHT be a mini cycle but with the sheer volume of the tank I doubt it will register, especially if you are using a skimmer. Keep in mind that there is plenty of BB on the rock you already have to handle the bio load of your fish. As long as you give things a few weeks to settle out before adding new fish then everything should be just fine.

I'd guess with an upgrade that big you'll see some cycle. 4 fish in a 120 is a pretty small bioload though and your rock from the 20g should have some bacteria on it already so the cycle should be small If I had to guess. Can you set up the 120 with all the rock and leave the fish with the sand in the 20 for a couple of weeks?

I'd guess with an upgrade that big you'll see some cycle. 4 fish in a 120 is a pretty small bioload though and your rock from the 20g should have some bacteria on it already so the cycle should be small If I had to guess. Can you set up the 120 with all the rock and leave the fish with the sand in the 20 for a couple of weeks?

I could probably do that. The thing I have learned in this hobby -especially saltwater- is patients. If you don't have that then you will be putting more time on the job. I do not have 150lbs of rock yet. I only have about 75. And I packed out the 20g with a little more then half of that rock. I am not using live sand. I am using sand from home depot that is safe for marine. I just have to wash the hell out of it. And I have a bubble Mag 6 skimmer.

Live sand is bought "wet", any dry sand will be alive in a short time (your silica too)! Even your top of the line reef sand is dead if bought dry.
But a 120watt light wont be enough for a 120 gallon, you will need at least 360W for a tank that big, unless you don't plan on having corals or anemones.
The local crabs??? Be careful

The 120 watt dimmable led if that's what it is they have will be enough. They'll need multiple units.

Sorry I'm at work and was in a hurry. If the fixture they have is the 120w dimmable led, it will suppose corals. They would just need multiple fixtures.

Sorry I'm at work and was in a hurry. If the fixture they have is the 120w dimmable led, it will suppose corals. They would just need multiple fixtures.

Yes, something like 3 of them=360watts
Even with 2 units he will have lots of dark corners? That if the tank is 72" long, if its 48" he's good with 2, 240watts

I have one over a 20Long and still have dark corners. 3 is the minimum I would run on a 135G

I have one over a 20Long and still have dark corners. 3 is the minimum I would run on a 135G

I agree totally, I have 4 on a 150, 6' long. I'd love another one so I could set them up from back to front instead of length wise

Attachments

• image-3997481023.jpg
    image-3997481023.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 50
I have 2 at the moment. They will be delivered this Monday. Here is a 6' long tank with 2 on them and it is fine. I am planning on getting a 3rd but 2 is good for now.
I am going to have the corals more so in the middle. I am waiting at least a year before I add any. Mabe just nems
39O5nQQ.jpg

I have 2 at the moment. They will be delivered this Monday. Here is a 6' long tank with 2 on them and it is fine. I am planning on getting a 3rd but 2 is good for now.
I am going to have the corals more so in the middle. I am waiting at least a year before I add any. Mabe just nems

Where did you get that from? The LEDs are way to high up?

Back
Top Bottom