Woops i filled my 55gal witg tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theman2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My initial set up I filled my tank with tap water because I didn't know about RODI.... Is there any way I can fix this water w/o having to empty tank n start over... I haven't added salt or anything to the tank yet.... I want to begin the cycling process

If you haven't added salt, then yes, get rid of it and start over..... there's no way to "fix" tap water in the tank.

I used treated tap water when i set up my tank. I did put a phosban reactor on the tank not long after setting it up to help with phosphates. Might get a little algae or diatom issues for a little while but use RO/DI moving forward for water changes and top offs and you'll be fine. I haven't seen any real issues and I know others that use nothing but tap water all the time.

I know others might disagree but no need to worry IMO.

If you plan on doing a total water change once the cycle is complete to get rid of the nutrients, then you'd probably be OK. But I'm with ezy, if it were me, I'd rather start off on the right foot from the very beginning.......

Back
Top Bottom