yellow tail blue damsels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JulieFurry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When our tank gets cycled we are starting to consider what fish we would like. I definetely want to get a pair of clownfish. I heard that yellow tailed blue damsels are really hardy fish as well but I hear from some people they will get along ok with clownfish and some say once they get comfortable nothing will be allowed in the tank. Which is true. I think they are really pretty and would like to add them with the clownfish but don't know and don't want to end up losing my clownfish.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Damsels in general are very territorial and can become problematic in aquariums. How large is your tank and what else do you plan to add?

I agree with in the middle. I `ve known people that had them and I`ve got mixed reviews on them.

I have a 30 gallon and right now all I have is lace rock on the bottom and some fake decorations. I plan on getting 4-5 fish and then whatever I use to clean the tank. I'm not experienced enough to add coral but if I did I would definetely upgrade to a 55 gallon or larger for something like that. I also don't have the correct lighting to manage coral just fish.

Territorial behavior is going to be problematic in a 30. I would get the pair of clownfish first. Then add maybe one of those damsels. And for the fourth fish, consider a pseudochromis or hawkfish, something that can hold its own.

I read that you should always add your fish from passive to agressive. I'm not a Pro but if you want any passive fish you might want to find those before adding your clowns and damsels. I did also read that tank raised clowns are less aggresive then wild so that would be something to consider when choosing them as well. I'm just getting my tanks started but I'm trying to map out the order I'll be adding everything. Article I read said to add the larger passive fish first depending on your tank size. Anyone can pls feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Clowns are fine to add first. All I would advise is that if you want a pair, get 2 the same size and add them at the same time. Over time one turns male and you should be ok.

I always recommend clowns as a good starter fish after a cycle.

Back
Top Bottom