10 Gal. Tank - Live Pants/Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Semmy125

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my second time starting up my 10 gallon fish. Last time I had a bunch of guppies which caught ick and I lost most of them. One remains.

I am going to try again. Here is my vision after researching so please tell me what you think. For the bottom, I was going to do half sand, half rock to give it a different look. I have a couple fake plants but I was going to get 1-2 each of the cryptocoryne plant and java ferns. I've read that they can take low light so I wasn't planning on getting a different baulb other than the one that came with the tank.

In hope that I will get some fry (last time didn't work so much... I think they didn't have much to hide in) I was going to have 3 guppies (1 male, 2 female) and 3 platys (1 male, 2 female).

Feedback much appreciated. I've never done live plants!

Just a suggestion, I'm using a clip on lamp and bulbs I bought from walmart as well (my tank doesnt have a hood), I have a 55 and it seems to work pretty well, I'm sure it would work very well with a 10g. The bulbs I got are made by GE. Just look for daylight on the box, and on the back somewhere it should say 6500k. I got a 3 pack for $8. I still need to get more clip on lights since a 55g is long obviously, but since I only have a few plants at the moment on the same side of my tank its working very well for me.

Just a suggestion, I'm using a clip on lamp and bulbs I bought from walmart as well (my tank doesnt have a hood), I have a 55 and it seems to work pretty well, I'm sure it would work very well with a 10g. The bulbs I got are made by GE. Just look for daylight on the box, and on the back somewhere it should say 6500k. I got a 3 pack for $8. I still need to get more clip on lights since a 55g is long obviously, but since I only have a few plants at the moment on the same side of my tank its working very well for me.

That's a really good idea! Especially if they don't seem to be taking. Do you think putting the aquarium by somewhere that would give it actual indirect sunlight help too? Maybe that's a dumb question. :confused:

I use CFLs in my stock 10g hood. I buy ZooMed UltraSuns because they fit my hood great and grow plants really well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QZF7JA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1338862052&sr=8-1. You can get similar mini CFLs to fit your hood two bulb fixture. Just make sure they are around 6,500K and not actinic or 50/50 bulbs, those are for saltwater.

You will quickly lose fish with that stocking plan in my opinion im sorry to say. Platies and Guppies breed easily so you have no room for fry. 3 Platies are a lot for a 10g. I'd do just a trio of Guppies if you want to breed or 2 male Platies so you don't have babies.

Livebearers are big eaters and messy for their size. Stock lightly. Plan plenty of water changes for small tanks. Go slow. Try just Guppies or just Platies or I think your water quality will crash quickly.

Live plants will help. Crypts will need the CFLs and enough substrate for roots. Sand is fine. 2" minimum. Root caps every 4 months. They are heavy root feeders. Liquid ferts 1x weekly after water changes.

What will you do with babies ?? Plan ahead.

Back
Top Bottom