10g redeux idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So I'm thinking about changing substrate in our 10 gallon from regular gravel to sand since I have plenty left over from the 40g set up.

I have an idea on how to start the cycle for the new substrate that won't cause too much fish stress.

Here's my idea:

After rinsing the sand fill the bucket to a few inches above the sand with tank water from an established tank.

Using one of the media bags I have, put seed gravel in it and bury it in the sand. Also a few drops of Tetra's Aquasafe for little added bacteria. (I only use this stuff to start a cycle, never on an established tank. Not since the fiasco with our 55g :rolleyes:

Add the mini-filter that I have in the 10 already to get some circulation and to help seed.

Sprinkle some flake food in there to get the ammonia going for the lil' buggers to feed on.

Check the water daily, in a few weeks (hopefully) start moving things around in the 10.

Does anyone think this might work? I know the bacteria we want don't need heaters ( it won't get below 74 degrees anyways) because they are the same ones that start in cold tanks like goldfish tanks.

Any other suggestions?

Couple things:
1) Kind of curious why you'd bury the seed gravel. It seems like the seed gravel would better circulate by being directly in the path of of water flow than buried beneath it.
2) Why not take media from your established tank and stick it in the mini-filter or in the seed gravel media bag?
3) Flake food sort of works, but it breaks down unpredictably. Straight ammonia is more of a daily hassle, but the cycle will start and end much sooner.
4) Using old tank water really won't make a huge difference. The bulk of the bacteria you seek aren't hiding in the water, but on the media, gravel, and other surfaces.
5) The bacteria don't -need- heaters, but they -like- heaters. The bacteria are more active with heat than without, and will reproduce faster at higher temps, as long as you're not approaching their kill-temp. 74 should be plenty warm enough if that's the bare minimum, although a consistent 78-80 might be a few days faster.

Regardless of the points I just outlined, you'll cycle anyway, just might take a little longer.

Couple things:
1) Kind of curious why you'd bury the seed gravel. It seems like the seed gravel would better circulate by being directly in the path of of water flow than buried beneath it.
2) Why not take media from your established tank and stick it in the mini-filter or in the seed gravel media bag?
3) Flake food sort of works, but it breaks down unpredictably. Straight ammonia is more of a daily hassle, but the cycle will start and end much sooner.
4) Using old tank water really won't make a huge difference. The bulk of the bacteria you seek aren't hiding in the water, but on the media, gravel, and other surfaces.
5) The bacteria don't -need- heaters, but they -like- heaters. The bacteria are more active with heat than without, and will reproduce faster at higher temps, as long as you're not approaching their kill-temp. 74 should be plenty warm enough if that's the bare minimum, although a consistent 78-80 might be a few days faster.

Regardless of the points I just outlined, you'll cycle anyway, just might take a little longer.

1) I should have said half bury. I planned to lay it beside the mini filter and toss a little sand on top.

2) The mini-filter has floss in it, which is why I was thinking about using it.

3) I know the break down of food can help with the ammonia which is why I thought to use it. I have the bacteria suppliment as well.

4) The old tank water because it has already aged. I was thinking using water that has been used would be better than fresh.

5) I do have a spare heater that I can stick into the bucket. I just didn't want to get too fancy on trying to start the sand to cycle.

My whole point of trying to cycle the sand like this was to reduce stress on the fish and plants that are already in the tank. I have no other place to put the fish if I were to cycle in the tank and I don't want them in a bucket for long periods of time. Hence this idea.

Guess it won't hurt to try it anyways.

Back
Top Bottom