10gal Betta w/ live plants and tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kadoozey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I'm brand new here to the forum and fish keeping, but I want to get started! I have a plan to start a 10 gallon tank with a betta with live plants and some tankmates, and I was looking for some input into what I should get. From the research I have done I think I would like to include 4-6 cories with the betta along with a ghost shrimp. If there is still enough space for more fish, I would also like to add a group of either neon tetras or rasboras.

I am also entirely at a loss at what kind of live plants I should get in the tank or what i need to do to get them established. I know that i need lots of foliage for the fish to hide in and something tall for the betta.

Basically I am looking for input on compatibility of fish and plants as well as the limit to the amount of fish I should have.:thanks:

Ok, well first things first! Most users here, including myself, generally think that a 10 gallon is too small for most corydoras, except for pygmy corydoras (which can be difficult to find).

Another option for bottom dwellers- and arguably one of the best options for a betta tank IMO- are kuhli loaches. They tend to stay out of the way very well so even if you end up with a betta with a mean personality they'll be ok. But I think 1 betta and 5 or 6 kuhli loaches (or 5 or 6 pygmy corydoras) would be a solid stock, I wouldn't add more than that.

Bettas are all different, but when it comes to bettas and shrimp I've heard more bad than good. Some bettas will leave them alone but the majority seem to see the shrimp as tasty snacks. You can give it a shot, but I wouldn't spend too much on shrimp until you know that your betta will play nice with them.

As for plants, java fern, java moss and anubias are great, hardy options for beginners!

Okay thank you for the insight into cories and plant choice, and I'll be sure to try out one bigger shrimp to see how the betta does before adding any others or getting anything special for the shrimp.

I also have a small 3-5ish gallon bowl that I was planning to have handy as a quarantine tank, but I may just start out with the plants and one betta in there to see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom