14 gallon fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just got a brand new 14g tank any suggestions for fish?
i was thinking along the lines of neon tetras or something bright.
any suggestion is appreciated!!

Hi and welcome to AA!
You could keep 10 Neon Tetras and a male Betta for a centerpiece fish.
In the getting started section, there is a 'sticky' with lots of helpful articles about cycling. You should read those if you haven't already :)

Fish I would look into
-tetras
-danios
-clouds
-dwarf rainbow fish (spotted blue eyes or threadfins)
-female betta
-dwarf gourami
-honey gourami
-mollys
-platys
-cherry barbs
-corys
-otocinclus
-mystery snail
-swordtails

Fish I would Stay Away From
-angelfish
-most cichlids
-plecos
-larger gouramis
-goldfish
-male bettas (killed most of my panda corys)
-clown loaches

i ABSOLUTELY love swordtails and platy's! Ive read that you have to have at least 2-3 female platy's/swordtails to 1 male. I also have a red tailed shark/rainbow shark and I really like their personalities! I usually get at least 4 tetras or guppies, and they are fun too! I know you said no plecos but i have a RUBBER LIPPED PLECO and they dont get as big as the normal ones. Im pretty sure that they get around 4-5 inches. I have 1 of them in my 20 gallon tank and he does a really good job!

Id get a pair of swordtails/platy's and about 4-6 guppies and or tetras.

but i would NOT get any goldfish because they are likely to give the other fish ick! Ive had ick in my tank before because i put goldfish in there with my other fish and it killed all but the goldfish in a matter of 2-3 days! but if you only have goldfish you should be fine! : )

but i would NOT get any goldfish because they are likely to give the other fish ick! Ive had ick in my tank before because i put goldfish in there with my other fish and it killed all but the goldfish in a matter of 2-3 days! but if you only have goldfish you should be fine! : )

That can be avoided by quarantine... And any fish or invertebrate could introduce it if it was exposed. It isn't specific to goldfish. An actual reason not to get a goldfish is that the tank is way to small for them.

ok thanks ill remember that! It was probably my fault tho. I put feeder goldfish in the tank with my tropical fish! Biggest tank mistake for me!

I'd stay away from mollies and swordtails -- they require a much larger tank. Unless you want to deal with a constant flow of babies I'd probably avoid livebearers (also including guppies and platies) altogether. You could definitely do a school of smaller sized tetras or nano fish and a larger fish such as a dwarf or honey gourami.

i have a 20 gallon aquarium with a rainbow shark, tetras and 1 guppy and 1 male and 2 female swordtails

neon tetras and things like that are fun! And maybe a small frog!

i have a 20 gallon aquarium with a rainbow shark, tetras and 1 guppy and 1 male and 2 female swordtails

Everything is situational but most would say that's a pretty overstocked tank. How old are your fish and how long has the tank been up?

im not sure how old they are but they are not big at all! but thats all the fish that i usually have. and my tank has been set up with fish in it for about… a little less than a year

im not sure how old they are but they are not big at all! but thats all the fish that i usually have. and my tank has been set up with fish in it for about… a little less than a year

Cool, just be sure to keep an eye on them as they get bigger and approach sexual maturity (especially the rainbow shark and swordtails).

just got a brand new 14g tank any suggestions for fish?
i was thinking along the lines of neon tetras or something bright.
any suggestion is appreciated!!

What are the dimensions of the tank? Assuming the tank has a bit of length to it I'd suggest looking into the following:

Ember Tetras
Neon Tetras
Celestial Pearl Danios
Chili Rasboras
Blue-eyed rainbowfish (many different types -- try furcata, spotted blue-eye, etc)
Harlequin rasboras
Honey/Dwarf/Sparkling gourami (only 1 total)
Peacock gudgeons

I have a couple of swordtails and a platy in my 10 gallon along with some guppies. Swordtails and platys have a larger bioload than a lot of other fish the same size, so you can't put as many in a 10 gallon, but they still do fine as long as there aren't too many.

Male sword tails are more suited for 29 gal and larger tanks.. You could probably get away with one in a 25 gallon tank. Anyways OP, I would look into nano fish if it were me.

Back
Top Bottom