16 Gallon Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosso961

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 16 gallon (30x8x14) tank.
Currently cycling but trying to plan a stock.

I know it's not large but I was hoping for a school of 6 such as a harlequin rasbora, 3-4 Cories, and a male/female gourami combo, however I'm hearing Cories perfer groups of 6 or more now and so I'm back at scratch.

Is it possible to have 2 different species in decent quanity with a "centerpiece" fish or two with this size tank? Or would I be better off just going with one large school

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd do 6 corys, rest of the stick sounds great, consider adding harlys first, gourami/s sad corys last. What's the substrate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's petco gravel which I know is a problem. I want to do sand but I'm nervous about the biomedia before I buy the fish should I just change out maybe a quarter of the gravel for sand at a time? A quarter a week maybe?

I wish I would've known about the advantage of sand prior to purchasing :(

Most of your BB is in your filter. If you add sand and plants, you can grow plenty of BB as long as it has a source of Ammonia. Fish poop is one source.

So it's fully cycled ?
There are Dwarf Corys. I have C habrosus and C pygmaeus.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421989538.872022.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421989559.722905.jpg

Not fully cycled at the moment once it finishes I'll probably add the rasboras and then change out some of the substrate for sand over a period of time. Would that be the best way? I feel like it's to late to switch at this point so I'll have to try to do it after the cycle is complete.

I love your Cories and tank! I will look into the honey gouramis I have heard they're more peaceful and that might be a better option

Peacock gudgeons are pretty and personable little fish that often get overlooked. Very peaceful, and they stay small.

Peacock gudgeons are pretty and personable little fish that often get overlooked. Very peaceful, and they stay small.

Really like the look of it thanks for bringing it up! Hopefully I can find them in store to see up close!

Back
Top Bottom