25g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazookeeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When it goes on sale, I'm going to be getting the aqeon 25g tank kit... I have some stocking ideas and wanted to run them by yall before I get too deep into planning.

• Ember or Neon or Cardinal Tetras (can't decide)
  • possibly Harlequin Rasboras
  • 1 Dwarf Gourami
  • 1 or 2 corys
I'm going to try a planted tank this time too. Are there any specific plant suggestions and recommended numbers/ alternate stocking ideas yall have?

I bought that kit about 4 months ago. Really good one and excellent value, esp if you get it on sale! I'd suggest you may want to increase the number of corys (smaller kind) to about 3-4. I recommend harlequin rasboras, may a be school of 6-7. They are hardy and active. In my tank I have rasboras (7) and have been wanting to build a school of cardinals - just haven't had luck with them.... For plants, I'd recommend low-medium light requirement plants, unless you plan on adding additional lighting.. Amazon sword, java ferns, anubias, anacharis, mayaca - these all I have and are doing well with stock lighting.... Hope that helps. Good luck :)

Ember tetras are the smallest of the three species so you could keep more. Neons are larger but hardier.

I already knew about cycling; this is not my first tank. Thank you for the links anyway. Now I don't have to go hunting around for them. :D

Looking at my first stock list, it doesn't seem like there would be enough room for at lest 5 tetras (still dunno which one), the 7-10 rasboras, the 4-6 corys, and the gourami. I'm bringing it back to bare bones... The only fish which will be in there is a Dwarf Flame Gourami. All the others are subject to modification/elimination.

Last edited:
If I were you bump up the number of Cories. To about 4. Do either pandas or pygmys.

Looking at my first stock list, it doesn't seem like there would be enough room for at lest 5 tetras (still dunno which one), the 7-10 rasboras, the 4-6 corys, and the gourami. I'm bringing it back to bare bones... The only fish which will be in there is a Dwarf Flame Gourami. All the others are subject to modification/elimination.

I think you could go with the plan as you have above. With some regular maintenance that stocking should work fine for this tank. To be honest, I am looking at very similar stocking. Actually, I'm looking to have school of 8-9 cardinals in addition my rasboras (7)..... Of course, I did add a Fluval 206 canister to my setting and that helps a lot. The aqueon quieflow 30 that comes with the kit is very average filter. You may want add another HOB or a canister with is kit.... At the very least add some thin foams to the aqueon HOB to increase biological filtering.... Filter floss is good also. You can buy polyfil for quilt matting from walmart and cut to size. Cheap and long lasting..

Back
Top Bottom