29 Gallon Stocking Ideas - Feedback requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artanis50

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

This is my first tank larger than 10 gallons, and while I wait for the water to cycle (I'm trying to be patient) I'm coming up with some scenarios of fish to stock it with. I'm using the aqadvisor.com website to make sure that I'm not overstocking and my fish will get along with each other.

Would love any feedback on the following potential combinations I've come up with!

Option 1 - stocking % = 92%
6 Zebra Danios
1 German Blue Ram
5 Cherry Barb
1 Angel fish

Option 2 - stocking % = 90%
6 Zebra Danios
6 Tiger Barb
1 Rainbow Shark
** I am aware the Rainbow Shark should be in a bigger tank long term, but the plan is to upgrade to a larger tank a while down the road **

Option 3 - stocking % = 93%
12 Neon Tetras
5 Zebra Danio
1 Dalmation Molly
5 Cherry Barb
1 German Blue Ram

I think option 2 is my favorite right now, because I love those Rainbow Sharks! But Option 3 is looking neat too.

Thanks for any feedback! I want my fishies to be happy :fish2:

I think they are all good choices.

Option #1.... I'd add one more cherry Barb.

Option #2....Up the school size of danios and Barb's to 8.....at least the Tigers up to 8. Tigers can be aggressive and fin nippers so upping the school size might help curb aggression. The single rainbow shark will be fine in a 29g. I've actually kept one in a 29g.

Option #3....add one more Danio and Barb.

Let us know what you end up deciding [emoji106]

Option 1 or 3. It depends on what you personally like! Would you prefer some larger fishes with distinct personalities? If so, go with #1.

Would you rather an active tank with a wide range of behaviors? Then go with #3.

There are temperature incompatibilities in number one, IMO. Angels and German rams definitely prefer warmer water than the zebra danios. For option two, tiger barbs are total jerks, never a fish I'd recommend for a community tank. Option three, you have the temp issue with the rams again. I'd also recommend only going with 2 groups of schooling fish in a tank this size.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been reading that the zebra danios are pretty hardy and should adjust to a higher temperature without any issue.

Option 3 has been my favorite for the past few days so I'm thinking of going that way.

Seriously Fish (the best database IMO) has zebra danios listed as 18-25 Celsius, which would translate to 64-77 Fahrenheit. You don't want to keep them at the extremes of their temperature range so should shoot for somewhere more in the middle, no higher than 75 for them, I'd say. It's quite far from German ram range, I wouldn't keep them under 80 F. Bolivian rams would like a temperature very similar to the danios, and are a great substitute. Much hardier.

Back
Top Bottom