29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crushed coral works well, and it will buffer the water to reduce drops in ph. Limestone also works in this regard, since wood will-as you've seen-can lower ph via tannins

Sigh. Still at 0.1 for my ammonia. Maybe traces of nitrIte though... Just the barest hint of pink, but not enough to measure.
Time for yet another water change. Meh. At least my flowers are getting lots of water.

Hey look! Another 50% water change. I am getting efficient at them though. I discovered that if I dump the buckets down my porch steps, the steps get a quick wash and the water disperses across most of the flower bed at the front of the house. :)

Can't remember if I said that I had placed a plant order.... The guy hasn't billed me yet though, because he's not sure he can get my plants from his supplier. :( I was hoping to have them this weekend.

And again, 50% water change. I thought this would go quickly with seeded media. Still at 0.1 ammonia and no nitrites or nitrates.

Plus, my filter is driving me mad. I actually started swearing aloud, which I don't typically do. :p

Here's a link to the video I tried to do to demo the problem. Of course, as soon as I filmed it, it worked. Though it still really stuttered before starting.

Oh! And I discovered wood mould on the branches. Google and the forums tell me it's normal with new wood, but it's uninspiring, to say the least.

On the positive side, I put my background in. I like the way it looks. Going to just stare at my fish for a bit and imagine how awesome it will be when my plants arrive (Saturday) and how much more awesome when I can put more fish in.

Attachments

• image-232417484.jpg
    image-232417484.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 101
Oh! And flipping back through the journal, it's nice to see how clear my water has become. I almost forgot how cloudy it was a week ago.

ErinMcG said:
And again, 50% water change. I thought this would go quickly with seeded media. Still at 0.1 ammonia and no nitrites or nitrates.

Plus, my filter is driving me mad. I actually started swearing aloud, which I don't typically do. :p

Here's a link to the video I tried to do to demo the problem. Of course, as soon as I filmed it, it worked. Though it still really stuttered before starting.

Oh! And I discovered wood mould on the branches. Google and the forums tell me it's normal with new wood, but it's uninspiring, to say the least.

On the positive side, I put my background in. I like the way it looks. Going to just stare at my fish for a bit and imagine how awesome it will be when my plants arrive (Saturday) and how much more awesome when I can put more fish in.

Looks nice. Really good. I need a background for my tanks. Did that go on the outside?

On a second note, do you have a centerpiece fish in mind?

Thanks, derail! The background is on the outside. It's a piece of black foam.

I haven't really thought about a centre piece fish yet. I have toyed with a few options, like a ram or something, but I am just not sure. Any recommendations?

ErinMcG said:
Thanks, derail! The background is on the outside. It's a piece of black foam.

I haven't really thought about a centre piece fish yet. I have toyed with a few options, like a ram or something, but I am just not sure. Any recommendations?

German blue rams are great from what I've heard, but I've never kept them.
I have a three spot gourami as the center for my 30g "livebearer"tank, which i'm still finding fry in after having the male guppies removed for about 6 months now lol.
In my 10g, which houses my male mollys and guppies, I have a dwarf gourami that is one of the cheeriest fish I've ever seen. I would recommend a three spot (aka blue gourami) or pair of dwarf gourami because they're not aggressive IME. A 29g tank will be more than enough for a pair of dg, even a pair of three spots, especially with your branches and plants

Was later than usual with my water testing last night... Tested at about 10 instead of 7 and then did a frantic pwc because my ammonia was up to 0.3. :(

Plants arrive today, so I will do another pwc this afternoon. It's much easier to plant with less water in the tank!

I am excited about the new plants and so I keep fidgeting here instead of taking care of my housework, etc. 2 more hours! Must go do the dishes.

Plants are here and tied rather tan glued, following a suggestion on a different thread. Glue way way easier than tying, but I got there in the end.

Attachments

• image-872556699.jpg
    image-872556699.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 99
Dang, looking good. Could you maybe tie some to those branches? I don't know much about plants, but I think if you could get some java fern or moss on the branches the tank would have an ambient effect. Either way, i'm liking the way it looks

derail said:
Dang, looking good. Could you maybe tie some to those branches? I don't know much about plants, but I think if you could get some java fern or moss on the branches the tank would have an ambient effect. Either way, i'm liking the way it looks

Thanks! I could definitely slip some off the rocks and tie then to branches. It would give me more depth in the tank too. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it when I do tomorrow's pwc.

When I first opened the package of plants, I was a bit disappointed. It didn't seem like very much. But, there was quite a lot when I started pulling them apart. Plus, there was heaps of wee plants. Some of the littlest ones I just tossed in to see what they would do. They have vanished, so I don't know if my filter got them or if they got caught on stuff. I will have to hunt for them. Hah, just saw one float by with a neon following it. :)

Was just staring at the aquarium and discovered that a couple of wee plants have already snagged on the branches. I will still tie a few onto them, but it's nice to see that the ferns are in agreement with us. :)

I realised that it is one of the benefits of tying instead of gluing. I can move some of the plants from rock to branch.

I keep looking at the back and feeling like it needs something.... More height. I was thinking about vals, but as was pointed out earlier. My substrate is pretty shallow. I wonder though.... Maybe I could build a rock pile with a bit of superglue gel to keep it stable. It could be kind of triangular, piling up towards one corner of the tank. And then I could have some of the ferns attached to that.... I need to ponder this a bit more.

Ok, so I was doodling, instead of reading the theory book I need to be reading right now. Anyway, this is the space I was thinking of making a rock pile for. I was thinking it would be cool to make it in pieces what could be stacked, so I could assemble and reassemble easily. Plus, I would want to leave some cave type spaces in case anyone feels the urge to hide out. And then I would try to encourage the ferns to grow on it.

Any thoughts? By the by, I am not an artist. Please forgive the state of my sketch!

Attachments

• image-3981421330.jpg
    image-3981421330.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 64
Odd question... I do my pwc with smallish buckets (about 2 gallons, I think) because I can carry them easily. It's a lot of trips, but less mess because I can pour easily, etc. but, I think I am using way too much prime because I end up just dumping some in each bucket without measuring. My prime calls for a capful for each 10 gallons, so I do a partial cap for each bucket.

There has to be a better way, so I don't burn through my prime faster than I need to. This hobby is expensive enough without wasting supplies. Any suggestions?

ErinMcG said:
Odd question... I do my pwc with smallish buckets (about 2 gallons, I think) because I can carry them easily. It's a lot of trips, but less mess because I can pour easily, etc. but, I think I am using way too much prime because I end up just dumping some in each bucket without measuring. My prime calls for a capful for each 10 gallons, so I do a partial cap for each bucket.

There has to be a better way, so I don't burn through my prime faster than I need to. This hobby is expensive enough without wasting supplies. Any suggestions?
I dose prime for the tanks volume before adding fresh water. A lot of people do this and it works great for me :) I use a hose connected to my tap for refilling.

AndrewsPistol said:
I dose prime for the tanks volume before adding fresh water. A lot of people do this and it works great for me :) I use a hose connected to my tap for refilling.

So, you put the prime in your tank and then add water to the tank?

Awesome. Going to do that with today's pwc. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom