37 Gallon Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stargaze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, Stargaze again.

I just lost my stock of fish due to ich yesterday. Tomorrow I'm planning on cleaning out my entire tank and starting fresh. I'm sad to have lost my babies.... but I do see this as an opportunity to try different types of fish this time around.

In my previous stock I had giant danio's, albino and regular tiger barbs, and Botia Kubotai loaches.
Maybe its because I'm still upset about loosing them... but I don't think I want these types of fish in my tank right now. Loosing my loaches was painful :(

My tank is a 37 gallon Marineland tank. I have a Penguin 350 filter (very strong! :D I have a great current in my tank!) Because of the stronger current, I want to be cautious with what fish I stock my tank with. I love love love neon tetras; but with as small as they are, they would get buffeted around I think.

I'm also considering getting 2 or 3 small comet goldfish (so I can watch them grow.) I feel my filter is too strong for the Fancy goldfish. But I love the Ryukins! Any way I could change the current?)

I also love Rainbow sharks, but I know I could only get one per tank because of how agressive they are to eachother.
I saw a video of a person who had a Rainbow and a goldfish together; they were totally fine and peaceful with each other.
Would I be able to do the same?

I also like some cichlids, but for some reason I don't like oscars so much :< (and it will outgrow my tank) Does anyone have experience with doing cichlids in this size tank?

Any and all advice is welcome. I want to try something new. But please don't hate because I've mentioned goldfish so much. I know they are dirty, but my filter is for a 70 gallon tank. (and I maintain my water well >_>) And they look like koi, and my room and tank is asian themed!

This is a picture of my tank before I ever added fish the first time.

img_1658854_0_e5454c981cfdf0c016f469931b5f6f9a.jpg

I'm sorry about your loss :( The tank isn't large enough for ryukins or rainbow sharks. Dwarf cichlids would work great in a tank that size. Some to consider would be bolivian rams, apistos, dwarf golden acara, and kribensis.

thank you, I'm still quite sad but... I know I can't gave an empty tank forever :c

It isn't possible for me to get comets and/or a rainbow shark if i get them at a young age, and get a larger 75-120 gallon tank when they get bigger?

Comets are only really suitable for ponds. They can get 2 feet long. If you want goldfish go for fancies. You could have 2 in a 36. If you want a rainbow shark you would probably have to upgrade within 6 months. IMO it's better to stock a tank with fish that will not outgrow it.

Back
Top Bottom