4+ weeks of Cycling Fishless and no changes...what am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey libraygirl, I completely understand your decision and TBH, that thing probably would have met my foot a long time ago, lol. I know there was some variable to this that prevented it from cycling. I'm not familiar with the filter like you and James are, but I can't believe that was the sole issue. It would be hard for me to believe there is a filter on the market that simply won't let a tank cycle. I also don't think we don't need to call Erin Brokovich about the tap water, I would use that again to avoid hassle. I think it's some compound that found it's way in there. Silly things we never think about can happen which could be a recipe for disaster without knowing. Just yesterday I walked into out bedroom (where my 48 gallon is) to see my girl going crazy with the bottle Febreeze...it was like something from a movie as I ran in what seemed like slow motion yelling "nooooooo!". I'm not sure it would have had any effect, but that's the type of thing that can happen.

As for filters, if you've got some extra $, canister filters are awesome. They're probably considered overkill for a 20 gallon....but IMO there's no such thing as over-filtration. A good rule of thumb to shoot for is a filter rated double for your tank size. For example, I have a Fluval 405 (rated for 100 gallons) on my 48 gallon tank. They do make the Fluval 205, which is smaller and rated for 40 gallons which would be fantastic for a 20. They'll run you about $100, but you'd never have to upgrade and you have tons of choices of what type of filter media you want to put in it.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your new rebuild thread, and I think it's very admirable of you to stick with the hobby. All the challenges will just make things more satisfying in the end. Please keep in touch and never be afraid to keep asking questions :)

I just noticed that foaming at the top of her tank. Could that be an issue? Bad ammonia or something?

Sorry you have to go through this libraygirl, but I bet in the long run everything will work out and you'll be even happier that you got this new tank. Good luck! I look forward to hearing what you end up getting and it's progress!

Something you might want to read. It's long, but enlightening. It also explains some of the other factors involved in the cycling process that could be an issue here. Some can be reasons why the ammonia+water = cycle idea doesn't always work.

Nitrifying Bacteria Facts

Wow that's actually very interesting! I'm wondering if lack of phosphates in the water could have been an issue then, since I never saw NitrItes. if it happens again I'll try some Ph Down.

Thanks again for the link!

libraygirl said:
Wow that's actually very interesting! I'm wondering if lack of phosphates in the water could have been an issue then, since I never saw NitrItes. if it happens again I'll try some Ph Down.

Thanks again for the link!

If you had been added the ground up fish food...you were most likely adding phosphates already. A lot of the current brands of pH down supposedly don't have the phosphate content they previously had.

If you had been added the ground up fish food...you were most likely adding phosphates already. A lot of the current brands of pH down supposedly don't have the phosphate content they previously had.

LOL Ok, so I should give up trying to figure out what happened to the first tank and hope it doesn't happen to the second. :D

Back
Top Bottom