55 gallon stocking help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbz99

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need a very colorful stocking list for my planted 55 gallon tank. Plain and simple. I just was looking into boesmani rainbows. Right now I think the stocking for it will be.

1 Betta
18 Rummy nose tetras
10 Neon tetras
8 Corries
1 Rio-negro pleco
20-25 assorted shrimp
Would this stocking work?
Can I do rainbows?
I'm really looking for a center piece fish or fishes.
Thanks
~Zac

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bump.

I would say no shrimp and no betta. The shrimp will probably be bothered by the pleco.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would agree that the betta and shrimp are not the best idea. You could still do the rummynose tetras néons cories and rainbows a if you want. I would however recommend that you skip the néons since a 55 is a nice size tank you might decide that you want a larger centerpiece fish such as a gourami or something of the sort in the future. If you were to add the none you options for larger centerpiece fish would be greatly reduced.

I'd remove the pleco from the list. I would also swap out the betta for a Paradise fish, an albino would look nice. If not you may want to get a pair of Leeri Gouramis-Pearls. Or you could go with a few female bettas of different colors and or a few pairs of pigmy gouramis like sparkling or croaking.

I have neons is my 60 (basically a 55 that's slightly taller) and they are beautiful little gems in there. They really make the tank, IMO. You can see them clear across the room. I have a Pearl Gourami who doesn't bother them. She is very mellow. I don't know if that would be true if she were a more aggressive type of gourami or if they were a mating pair. Maybe someone else can speak to that based on their experience.

Back
Top Bottom