55g Aquarium Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hecnik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and the hobby itself :fish1:. We recently got a 4ft 55g tank and am currently aquascaping it.

I did a run on Aquadvisor to check the compatibility and stuff for the fish I wanted. The results are as below,

AquStockImage.php

However, am a little confused with the procedure I need to follow now. Are there any flaws which the website overlooked? :confused:

Also, if I proceed with the levels as above, what order and quantities do I follow to introduce them gradually? Which species 1st n how many, then how long to wait and what next n so on...

Thanks a lot in advance for ur help.. (y)

Cheers,
Nik

Hello, welcome to the site!
Ok, first of all, have you given consideration to the manner in which you will be cycling the tank? By that I mean building up the colony of beneficial bacteria that actually break down the ammonia which your future fish will be pooping out?
That website has a lot of flaws to be honest, but newbies have to start somewhere. :) Just make sure you don't consider its findings to be "law" but instead do separate research on every individual species. Once you actually start stocking, you will be able to judge more readily what you have space for. I know it is tough to even imagine when starting out!
How many to add and when to add depends on the method by which you cycled the tank.
A couple notes, I would do more cories since you have space. They are active in groups, and are often more fun to watch when you have more of them, so I would more like 6-8 minimum. :)
Also, red cherry shrimp will likely all get eaten IMO. I would consider something cheaper, like the ghost shrimp, as a tester. RCS notoriously easy targets for pick to peck away at in a community. At the very least, your babies will most likely all get eaten. They would need a lot of plant cover, but then you don't see them much. Those dg would love an rcs meal everyday, and it will likely end up being the most expensive sushi you have ever served a fish IMO.
Final note, dg can be feisty and don't always get along. It will depend on the individual personality of the fish. Just so you know!

Just throwing a new idea at you here. Have you considered keeping some larger fish such as an opaline gourami.

Back
Top Bottom