8ppm ammonia!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

son2fu

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just went down to Ralphs and bought some ammonia, i dosed a little too much. is this okay? will it eventually go down?
or do i need to do a water change?( I hate the smell/ feeling of ammonia) 8O

this is the beginning of my fishless cycle and i'm wondering if i got off on the right foot.

8 is to high, do water change get it down to about 4 ppm. Otherwise your cycle will take forever.

can I do like the cycle change tomorow? because I don't have a bucket

You can do it when you want. No fish to hurt. Do it soon though it will take forever to process 8 ppm and for no good reason.

i thought i was a bit short because i forgot to wait 5 minutes after dropping in the test fluid.

btw, how long should i wait for the ammonia to evenly distribute in my water before i start testing?

son2fu said:
can I do like the cycle change tomorow? because I don't have a bucket

I would get a python if you have a faucet or outdoor hose pipe handy. SOOO much easier than using a bucket :)

All depends on the size of the tank. I have a 20gallon and a 10 gallon and have no need for a python. I prefer to be able to premix all my chemicals (planted) in a 5 gallon bucket and then add. If I had a 29 gallon or larger, I would definately go a different route however.

With good circulation about 30min is all thats required for even distribution. If you are detecting=>8ppm ammonia (liquid test right?), I would do a 50% PWC or so. You don't have to, but it MIGHT slow the cycle down slightly. I still don't believe we have a repeated factual basis for saying 8ppm is too high, 1-2ppm is too low, but 5ppm is just right. I think its more of an ease of measurement thing.

If it was me and I had some good seed material I would probably just leave it be. Check your tap water for nitrAtes. If you don't detect any, I would just let the tank go and monitor for ammonia and nitrAtes. Other than for yourself there really isn't a need to measure nitrItes until your ammonia goes to zero.

You can use some of the tricks in this thread to speed up your cycle:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89185

Back
Top Bottom