A new fx5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boadams87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just recently added the fx5 to my 30 gal tank. The tank was completely cycled as I've had it running over 5 years with the same fish in it. I have a hob on it also. My question is now why am I seeing ammonia in my test? I do weekly wc. Test with api kit. Just wondering . The reason I added it to my 30 is because im getting a 150 in a mth and wanted it to begin growing bb!!!!!

boadams87 said:
It has gotten up to 1

Wow! I thought if it was .25 it could just be from the test kit being out. Maybe it's stirring up excess junk from the bottom of the tank with extra flow? You certain you don't have any dead fish or rotting plants hidden somewhere?

Im just doing wc til it gets cycled again. Could it be because the fx5 is so big its like the hob isn't even there?

That actually makes sense Maybe the fx5 is hogging all the water. Its got a huge flow rate. Try putting all the media from the HOB in the fx5 for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference.

Mumma.of.two said:
That actually makes sense Maybe the fx5 is hogging all the water. Its got a huge flow rate. Try putting all the media from the HOB in the fx5 for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference.

I've got it packed with rings and bio balls.. I've got 2 filters in my hob, I may replace one and cut it up and put in the fx5

I just tested 3 hrs ago and only had. 25 ammonia 0 trites and 80 trates!!!!! So I did a big wc and im about to test. Love the new pic BTW

boadams87 said:
I just tested 3 hrs ago and only had. 25 ammonia 0 trites and 80 trates!!!!! So I did a big wc and im about to test. Love the new pic BTW

So the ammonia is going down and the trates are going up? Sounds like you got conversion happening again! Did you move the HOB media to the fx5?

I know, nope left everything alone. Been to busy. But im glad its starting. I spoke with a very experienced lfs guy and was telling him about it and he said like we did since its such a big pull of water it took over the hob like I didn't have a filter.

Well I'm glad it's starting to work now! It sucks doing daily water changes. I was doing twice daily on a goldfish tank for nearly 2 months so I feel you pain! Lol

Back
Top Bottom