A pea puffer and/or snails in the community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Szewczyk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Still trying to finalize my future lineup while I wait for the new tank to cycle and plants to take root. I would appreciate any advice!

I'm thinking about adding a single pea puffer as there are tons of hiding spaces, I'm planning on keeping the overall tank population low, and the other varieties I'm considering should do okay with it.

I have my heart set on a small school of Panda Garra and Forktail Rainbows (4-6 each). MAYBE +1 puffer? This will make for a sparsely populated tank but I'm okay with that (I'm going for more of an underwater garden with a few active fish darting around sort of look).

Given this setup, is it possible to maintain a snail population or will the puffer hunt them endlessly? I'd really like to have some trumpet snails to help clean the soil near the plant roots where I can't go with the vacuum. I am hoping the puffer will just help keep their numbers in check (I can supplement with hornworms that I breed in another tank if needed).

Also, if anyone knows of something I could add to this tank that would nibble on the plants (to reduce the need for trimming) that would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Population:
Black Racer Nerite Snails (x3)

75gallon freshwater tank
Fluval 407 Canister Filter
300W TopFin ProSeries Heater (x2)
2.5" Aquarium Soil (Fluval Stratam)
Moderate/Heavily planted with a variety of aquatic flora
Seiryu Rock/Driftwood/Java Moss Decor

Established 11/27/2020 (seeded with colonized filter media)

Pea puffers are not a good fit for that setup. Consider an amazon puffer of you're set on a puffer

Back
Top Bottom