Adding fish - What options do I have with my current lineup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I am looking to get more fish for my tank, but wondering what my options are.

Heres the setup now:

- 10 gallon freshwater tank with heater (78 degrees)
- 2 Platies - red wag and blue tuxedo
- 1 guppy

I've heard I cant add any barbs as they will nip at the guppies tail, and neon tetras are possible but should only be bought in groups of 6 or more.

What other fish could I add in this setup?

Thanks,

You could try swordtails, some will only like them in larger tanks, you could also go with some red cherry shrimp or 5-6 glowlight tetras (who dont get too large. that would be a good set up. maybe a couple albino cories if you can do frequent water changes. id suggest getting a 20 long if you can....youll have a lot more options then

Cool thanks Bronco fan.

Can I have any type of mollies?
And im assuming I can add other types of guppies and platies as well, correct?

if this is the only tank you have, your best bet is to stay away from livebearers... guppies, platys, mollies all breed like crazy and even just buying a female and no male will generally produce a couple batches of fry. how about some tetras of some sort?

Stay away from guppies, platies and mollies?? So I cant have any of those 3...

I cant have barbs because they need 20 gallons + and they will nip the guppies tails

I cant have angels because they will grow to 6 inches

I can have tetras but only if I buy 5 or 6 at a time which i dont think I want to do because Id like to have some variety (types and colour)

I find cory cats pretty ugly so im shying away from those

What does that leave me, what am I missing here? Finding this whole grouping thing to be confusing so if someone could help further, id really appreciate it!

that doesnt mean you have to stay away from them, but if you do get more, you're going to end up with way more than you want. in a 10g tank, you have lots of options. you just have to look at compatable fish. there are really not many fish that wont get along with your current stocking that are suitable for a 10g tank. The biggest problem i see is that you want a variety. In such a small tank, that is very hard to achieve...

I see.

Heres what I'd like to add:

- 1 balloon molly
- 1 black or dalmation molly
- Another platy - yellow or orange colour
- another guppy of some kind

Would this work?

If no, why not?
If yes, it seems like I will just be at a higher risk of them breeding, correct?

Thanks,

i dont see any issues other than the fact that mollies do get pretty big and will eventually outgrow a 10g tank. other than that, the fry would be your only risk, but if you can find a way to rehome them if they come about, you'll be ok. just make sure you get all females or all males, even different types of mollies or platys can breed...

Ok - thats the lineup I think im going to go with. When the mollies outgrow the tank I will find another home for them (my family has a near empty 55 gallon at home not really being used), and ill deal with the fry if they come up. Ill try and get all males or females.

Stay away from guppies, platies and mollies?? So I cant have any of those 3...
No Just have males, they look better and don't 12 times a year ;)
I can have tetras but only if I buy 5 or 6 at a time which i dont think I want to do because Id like to have some variety (types and colour)
Depending on what coulor guppies you got you could get these.I had orange/red tailed guppies so had neon tetras
I find cory cats pretty ugly so im shying away from those

What does that leave me, what am I missing here? Finding this whole grouping thing to be confusing so if someone could help further, id really appreciate it!

Shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom