Advice and guidance to upgrade my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a brand new 30 gallon tank, a brand new filter, more gravel and a few more fake plants.

Can some one offer some guidance as to how to safely transfer my fish to the new tank? The new tank is in a different room in my apartment.

What I thought was a way was to do a fishless cycle of my tank, then after that add my fish.
But I read elsewhere, to set up the tank and filters and such, fill it up with water, let it run for 24 hours then add one fish. But it's not a new tank and new fish, so I didn't know if that mattered or not.

I just have the one goldfish I'm moving into the bigger tank.

Really depends on you. I am not sure why they do that. Maybe clean roughly you're tank, rinse well and you might be ready to go? Also, what type of goldfish do you have? Just curious:3

Calico Telescope eyed goldfish! I can send you a picture of him after I get him in the new set up this weekend. I wanted to get him a friend, but I can't afford above a 30, and a 55 gallon is a bit big for a college apartment haha.

Calico Telescope eyed goldfish! I can send you a picture of him after I get him in the new set up this weekend. I wanted to get him a friend, but I can't afford above a 30, and a 55 gallon is a bit big for a college apartment haha.
I think you could have space for 2 fancy in a 30. I know some people say 30 for fancy's, other's say 20 for fancy's. I say if you take good care of em, it could work pretty well:)

I do weekly water changes, clean the decorations as needed like scrub off any waste or nasty stuff and regularly change the filter. Water maintenance is a pain because the water where I live is really bad... So I have to almost double the dosage for like dechlorinator and ammonia stuff because it's naturally high in it all. He seems happy in his 10g right now but I bet he'll be even happier in a 30!

I do weekly water changes, clean the decorations as needed like scrub off any waste or nasty stuff and regularly change the filter. Water maintenance is a pain because the water where I live is really bad... So I have to almost double the dosage for like dechlorinator and ammonia stuff because it's naturally high in it all. He seems happy in his 10g right now but I bet he'll be even happier in a 30!
Yeah, 10 is a bit small for goldfish:L

Take all the used filter media and add it to the new filter on the new tank. Take all the substrate and add it to the new tank. Make sure the water is dechlorinated before you do this. Then you can add the fish. Watch for a mini cycle (spikes in ammonia and nitrite) over the next few weeks and change water as needed. Upgrading tanks is quite easy because you can just transfer everything over and instantly cycle it.

Transfer the filter from the 10g to the 30g and run them together for atleast a month, preferably longer. Indefinitely if you don't plan on using the 10g again anytime soon. Temperature match the new water to the old tank. Compare ph between the two tanks, if the new tank differs by more than .2, drip acclimate to the new tank. Then just monitor parameters daily for any possible spikes and do water changes as needed.

When you move him, either pick him up gently by the belly with clean hands or use a wide mouth pitcher to scoop him out with water- no nets ever with fancies especially telescopes.

Also, stop changing the filter media regularly- you are throwing away your good bacteria whenever you do this. Just swish the media in some used tank water when you do a water change. You want to keep your media until its literally falling apart to maintain your bacteria. Please ask if you have any questions!

When I say regularly I mean when it gets too gunked up with waste where rinsing it doesn't help... Make sense? The carbon part in my old tank got gross quickly, but it was kind of a bad filter to begin with. I understand what you meant, I just don't want to run a nasty filter.
But thanks for the tip about the two filters!

If you rinse it 1-2x weekly, it wont get gunked up as in water does not flow through it. Its supposed to look brown and nasty- thats what healthy filter media looks like. Skip the carbon since your setting up a new tank- its simply not necessary for a healthy fw tank.

If you rinse it 1-2x weekly, it wont get gunked up as in water does not flow through it. Its supposed to look brown and nasty- thats what healthy filter media looks like. Skip the carbon since your setting up a new tank- its simply not necessary for a healthy fw tank.

I don't think my new filter has it anyway :p I spent like $35 on the new one. Wanted to make sure I got a good one. But thank you!

Back
Top Bottom