Algae Bloom - Greenish Cloudy Water.. Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone... I think I'm having a problem with cloudy water and I think it's algae bloom. I have a 12 gallon JBJ Nano Cube that has been running since January. The cloudy water that I'm now experiencing almost reminds me of the bacterial bloom that I had in the first few weeks of my tank. This time around is appears almost the same with a light green hue (looks almost white though). When I noticed the water getting cloudy last week, it didn't really appear with a greenish hue so I thought it was just due to overfeeding or something. As a result, I bought a water clarifier. The bottle said to try two doses of it, 24 hours apart, and if it doesn't clear up to seek advice. So it hasn't seemed to do any help and the water is cloudier than ever. I've done two 25% water changes (days apart) within the last week. I've check my water parameters and it all checks out okay (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5ppm nitrates). I also, for the heck of it, rinsed off the filter sponge and changed out the carbon bag with some new Ammo-Carb activated carbon.

I need some advice on how to alleviate the cloudiness. It's really bothering me that my tank's water is not crystal clear.

This is what I think is the culprit, but I can be wrong.. please correct me if I'm wrong or partially correct. I THINK it has something to do with not changing out the lamps in this nano cube to freshwater bulbs. Currently is has two 24-watt 50/50 compact fluorescent lamps and I think the bloom might be due to the blue actinic lights... FYI, I don't leave my lights on for long periods of time.. only 2 to 3 hours in the morning and then 2 to 3 hours at most at night. The tank is near that kitchen and not near any windows. Lastly, the tank is fish-only with no live plants.

What do you guys think? What are steps that I can do to get my water crystal clear again?

its not due to the actinics... algae uses very little, if any light from an actinic bulb (really depends on who you ask.. most say it does nothing for algae/plants). How long are you leaving your lights on? is it planted? a big water change, followed by a blackout, followed by a big water change should help, but if you dont figure out what's causing it, it'll more than likely come back. take a white plastic cup and put some of the tank water in it. that will tell you real quick what the color actually is.

its not due to the actinics... algae uses very little, if any light from an actinic bulb (really depends on who you ask.. most say it does nothing for algae/plants). How long are you leaving your lights on? is it planted? a big water change, followed by a blackout, followed by a big water change should help, but if you dont figure out what's causing it, it'll more than likely come back. take a white plastic cup and put some of the tank water in it. that will tell you real quick what the color actually is.

Hi drookie.. Umm, I only leave the tank lights on 2 to 3 hours in the morning.. off while I'm at work. Then on again for another 2 to 3 hours before I go to bed. The tank is fish-only, no plants. I don't have any white plastic cups around.. any other suggestions? Oh, the only reason I think it was the actinic bulbs is because a LFS keeper once said that if I didn't change it, there could be an "algae problem." I assumed that it would be the kind of algae that grew on the ornaments and glass in which the otos in my tank would eat up.. not the cloudy microscopic stuff clouding up the water.

UPDATE: I tried the "blackout" technique with success! I wrapped my tank in a blanket for 4 days... took the blanket off and PRESTO, crystal-clear water! Thanks mfdrookie516!

Back
Top Bottom