Algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidg2447

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm very new to this fishtank stuff I have 2 tanks 40 Lt & 80 Lt
Starting to gets lots of algae green on glass and red/purple on plants can anyone help? Thanks!

davidg2447 said:
Hi I'm very new to this fishtank stuff I have 2 tanks 40 Lt & 80 Lt
Starting to gets lots of algae green on glass and red/purple on plants can anyone help? Thanks!

How many hours a day do u have Ur lights on for and what kinda plants do u have? Do u use fertilizers?

Sunlight I've found is the major cause of green algae, one of mine gets maybe 1 hour of sun a day maximum but still gets plenty of algae growth. Although my Oto has sorted it!

Your 80L is big enough for a bristlenose pleco (assuming you are not already fully stocked) it would have that cleaned up in no time.

Welcome Aboard!

Below is a link to info on algae, but adding a fish to solve it might not be the best first step IMO. Figuring out why it's happening would be and knowing what your lighting is, ferts used, plants, etc would help us, help you.

If you're determined to add something and depending on what fish you have AES (amano) are the best cleaners, hands down with minimum bioload.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Mark Hewitt said:
Sunlight I've found is the major cause of green algae, one of mine gets maybe 1 hour of sun a day maximum but still gets plenty of algae growth. Although my Oto has sorted it!

Thanks Mark I'll try and keep the sunlight down. But what is a Oto?

otocinclus catfish aka otto, it's an algae eater just like a pleco. I have 2 bristlenose pleco's in my tank and they are super active, and unlike regular pleco's they don't get huge so they are perfect for smaller tanks.

I agree about thinking twice before you get a fish to deal with the algae issues. BN plecos and otos are not going to do alot to green spot algae anyhow.

Direct sunlight or an extended photoperiod is usually what causes GSA for me.

Figure out how to reduce the algae growth first and foremost.

Back
Top Bottom