Ammo Bag/ New Tank Sundrome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookelynnb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so I've had my goldfish tank set up for about 2 months now. I haven't really been able to get my water really clear!! I researched it, and I know I probably have new tank syndrome. Ive had it in my other tanks, so I recognized it. It's a white cloud throughout the whole tank. The pet store suggested I buy new filter media. I didn't think that sounded right, considering my tank has only been set up for a short amount of time. I figured theres not even enough sustainable bacteria in it yet, and if i were to take the only bacteria source, it would be very bad.They also recommended I buy a water clarifier medication drops to add to the water. Now I may be wrong, but I don't like adding TONS AND TONS of random chemicals to their tank!! I do however use 7.0 PH Tetra Fizz tabs, and Ammo Chips. Those have helped me alot. Anyways, I didn't by a new filter carbon cartridge, because I've heard you're only suppose to change it out when it's literally falling apart.

What is my best option as far as getting rid of the cloudy-ness??

Also, is it okay if I have my ammo-chip bag directly in the water, instead of it being in the filter area, because it doesn't fit...?

Picture of the cloudiness, and the
bag of ammo chips.

Attachments

• image-2900047347.jpg
    image-2900047347.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image-1873315608.jpg
    image-1873315608.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 44
Also tested my water today, and ll parameters were good. My ammonia was even fairly good, for a goldfish tank. It was a smidgen in between safe. Everything looked good.

Sometimes the ammo chips can cause cloudiness ( happened to me) - rinse well before using. Also rinse your filter media in your old water when you do a water change in case it's catching any particles. If those two things do not work or its not particles, I would do a 20% change every two days until the water is clear.

I've only used the ammo chips twice, so hopefully I haven't done much damage. Good to know I should just wait...

Should I change filters, or no?

Can you please post some more information so we can better help you?

Tank size? Filtration? Stocking? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph and what your using to test (liquid or strips)? Water change schedule (%/# wk)? Why you are adding ph chemicals?

Do not change the filter media- just rinse it in some used tank water as needed.

Back
Top Bottom