Ammo/carbon filters, toxins, meds, whats true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShameCOre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all on my first post here. My first question has to do with those Ammo chip filters, you know the white stone or clay stuff...
1) Well I’ve read that carbon can remove medications from a tank, but is that also true with the ammo chip filters?
2) I’ve read that you can leave both carbon and ammo chip filter media in for more than a month as "nesting sites" for bacteria that help filter, but I've also read that these filter media can leach out the toxins once the media has reached capacity and sooner than a month at times. So what’s the story, which is best?
3) if meds are in a tank and you use filter media to remove them, would the meds leach back out into the water if it is true that the filters leach out the toxins and reach capacity sooner than manufacturers claim? (generally a month).
4) In the past I’ve used malachite green, with no filters, and the color in the tank would vanish in a few hours… Now are the plants or gravel absorbing the meds, just the blue coloring, or what?

thanks all for the help...
SaintC AKA ShameCOre

I won't say too much about 1, 2, & 3 .... since I don't use ammochip or carbon routinely. For carbon, I would change it after pulling meds out, as there is a risk that the stuff will leach back out.

As for # 4, I've actually done some research on the matter. Melachite green is unstable & will break down, faster if there is bright light. A site I read actually recommend blacking out the tank during treatment. Regardless of light level, Malachite green is pretty much gone after 24 hrs. That is the reason you need to dose daily ... & don't trust any label that says "treat once & forget" .... did that once & cause a fish death ... :(

And one more thing .... Welcome to AA .....

I try not to use any additives in my tanks. If your tank is cycled, routine partial water changes should take care of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I usually cut open the tops of filter cartridges and remove the carbon before use. Save the carbon for those times you must medicate.

Back
Top Bottom