ammonia, nitrie, & nitrate at the same time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veggievettech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there! Quick question...
I had a rocky start to my cycle, but my survivng Molly is doing great. It's been a good 7 weeks since the process started, and in the last week I assumed that I was approaching the home stretch. I began to get a nitrIte spike.
I test the water daily and do PWCs according to the results. Everything I have read about the nitrogen cycle says that I will experience ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate. How about all three at the same time?
For the last several days, my water has tested .25ppm ammonia, .5ppm nitrite, and 20ppm nitrate.
Does this just mean that the bacteria colonies are there, but they are not large enough to convert all of the ammonia and nitrite? Will it eventually just resolve?
I appreciate any advice. :D

I had that happen near the end of my cycle as well. I think it means you're close to the end. Hang in there. Keep up the water changes. You're close.

I agree, it is close and having low levels of all three at this stage is common.
You will probably find that the amonia will go to zero first and the nitrite will probably linger for about a week or so after.

Back
Top Bottom