Angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussielouii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Fairly new to angel
We have an adult angel fish can anyone tell if its male or female please?
Also can anything else be housed with it such as opposite sex of it or a different breed like silver dollar or discus or anything at all?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1509533072672.jpg
    FB_IMG_1509533072672.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 38
Looks like it might be a Male, but it is really hard to tell unless they are in a spawning mood.
A small school of tetras usually work with Angels. Or Some cories. Discus work too but they aqre relatively hard to keep.
If the tank is 29 gallons or bigger, get him a girlfriend and raise some babies.

Considering he is almost mature would i need to get a female of same size?

That's really hard to tell with the pic. But you can usually tell with a male they will have the roundness on the top of the head, sticks out more than females. Females are more straight. And females have more fin on top of the head. So if there's more of a curve from mouth to top of the start of the fine it's most likely a male. If it's more flat, it's most likely female. And a female will start picking at stuffs in the tank, like she's cleaning it. Watch for that. But it Looks like a male to me. Good luck on finding a mate.

It's very hard to tell. I've bred angels several times and I'm still unsure until they actually start laying eggs and the ovipositor shows on the female. Best thing to do is get an equal-sized Angle fish as a companion. It'll be much happier than being alone.

Back
Top Bottom