Angel Plus active sponge filters and a couple more questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McCoveyCove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, first I'll start with a little bit of background. I had posted here a few times when I started the fish-less cycle of my 20 gallon back in August after doing research since about February. Unfortunately I decided to abandon that cycle because I was leaving for a month that November/December and didn't want to leave a newly established tank for someone to take care of. But now I'm looking to start my tank all over, I scrubbed the tank with a scrubber and replaced all the water, however I still have the same filter media and even carbon filter cartridge. But I'm looking to expedite the cycling process this time(obviously I will still maintain patience though). So naturally I looked towards Angel Plus' active filter sponges (goo.gl/c2C7kq). But I have a few questions.
  • Can the sponges actually reduce cycling time to a week or two on a brand new tank?
  • Is it possible to replace my carbon filter cartride with a cut version of the sponge? Is that as effective?
  • Should I start dosing 4 ppms of Ammonia now and continue when I get the sponge till I have 0?
  • Is the priority shipping option of 2-4 days effiecent enough to keep most the bacteria alive?

Thank you for any responses I get, you guys and many aquarium communities around the internet have been a big help.

Hello, first I'll start with a little bit of background. I had posted here a few times when I started the fish-less cycle of my 20 gallon back in August after doing research since about February. Unfortunately I decided to abandon that cycle because I was leaving for a month that November/December and didn't want to leave a newly established tank for someone to take care of. But now I'm looking to start my tank all over, I scrubbed the tank with a scrubber and replaced all the water, however I still have the same filter media and even carbon filter cartridge. But I'm looking to expedite the cycling process this time(obviously I will still maintain patience though). So naturally I looked towards Angel Plus' active filter sponges (goo.gl/c2C7kq). But I have a few questions.
  • Can the sponges actually reduce cycling time to a week or two on a brand new tank?
  • Is it possible to replace my carbon filter cartride with a cut version of the sponge? Is that as effective?
  • Should I start dosing 4 ppms of Ammonia now and continue when I get the sponge till I have 0?
  • Is the priority shipping option of 2-4 days effiecent enough to keep most the bacteria alive?

Thank you for any responses I get, you guys and many aquarium communities around the internet have been a big help.

1. Yes, it can reduce cycling time, the time varies though

2. You could but there will be less beneficial bacteria as the smaller surface area will have less than the whole sponge.

3. Dosing 4ppm the day you order the sponge would probably be OK

4. Yes, priority shipping will be fine. The bacteria can live quite long.

Now for my personal experience with their product:

The filter is very big and cheaply constructed when compared to others

It's a sponge with cheap plastic/ PVC tube with a hole drilled in it

Their shipping is too high, They charge over 9.00 when it could be made to fit in a small flat rate box for 5.25

All of the above is why I started offering seeded sponges for sale/trade/free here.

Here's some pics

Angel Plus filter

OUP6IX1.jpg

^ round cheap foam, with a marble siliconed in the bottom for weight

pfd1qQE.jpg

^ deep blue pro sponge

Same price if not cheaper, more surface area due to pleats, weighted base thats lifted so there's no dead space under the sponge.

I bought one of the seeded angel plus ones and TBH it cost a lot and idn't help much. Ended up buying the "Dr. Tims" bacteria in a bottle stuff.

If you'd like a sponge that's seeded from an aquaclear 30 that you can likely jam into whatever you're using PM me.

Back
Top Bottom