Angry at pet shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no excuse for crazy high nitrates. If they are high do a water change, it's that simple.

If you are planning to stock several tanks all at the same time it would work.

Ehhh, if I'm getting something that I know is extra sensitive, I might drip it. But I pretty routinely plop and drop all my Apistos, rams, and other dwarf cichlids, shrimp and other invertebrates, etc.

Sorry to pinch thread a bit but I've always wondered on this. So (I know thoughts will vary) but looking at the drip method for sensitive fish or different water specs from old to new setting? I don't use drip method but fish are fairly bog standard. I've had no troubles but perhaps that could be as the fish shops use similar water. I guess I always thought the drip method was new science and thus more up to date though?

Ehhh, if I'm getting something that I know is extra sensitive, I might drip it. But I pretty routinely plop and drop all my Apistos, rams, and other dwarf cichlids, shrimp and other invertebrates, etc.

I was under the impression that you had to drip shrimp... If you want to stay on topic, feel free to PM me.

I have bred RCS and some variants, tiger shrimp, Malawa shrimp, crystal red shrimp, CPO, and C shufeldtii (ok, the last two were not shrimp, but still)... has never made any difference for me. Also, several varieties of Tylomelania snails, and I've been finding baby Assassin snails lately. Apparently plop and drop is not a problem for my inverts... lol.

Float bag and mix water slowly is water I do then tip bag over sink in net then add fish. I thought dripping was more for saltwater or very sensitive fishes?

I float my fw fish then stick them straight in an have never had a problem. The only fw fish I would probably ever drip are discus. If the goldfish were not healthy from the start that seems to be the main issue. As well as having to many in to small of a tank.

Float bag and mix water slowly is water I do then tip bag over sink in net then add fish. I thought dripping was more for saltwater or very sensitive fishes?

Agreed. Drip acclimation is necessary for brackish and salt. Not needed for freshwater.

**update** my new fish that I got from the other pet shop are doing fine. Had them for over 24hours now. Have put a big long air curtain in their tank and they are loving the many bubbles they are producing. I must say this topic has caused quite a stir shall we say!

Glad your newbie is doing well. Hopefully you will be able to address the tank size issue soon. You will have long term issues if you keep them all in such a small tank. Keep in mind gold fish can live for 15+ years with proper care.

It's strongly advised for discus, so not entirely true.

"Strongly advised" does not necessarily mean "absolutely necessary". I have dripped discus (at home) and not dripped discus (two fish store jobs) and the results were the same.

I'm not telling anyone you should not drip your fish. I'm just saying that the importance of drip acclimation is overrated by a lot of people.

Glad your newbie is doing well. Hopefully you will be able to address the tank size issue soon. You will have long term issues if you keep them all in such a small tank. Keep in mind gold fish can live for 15+ years with proper care.

Will upgrade when they get bigger, only just upgraded to the 64l. It was worse I had a 30l biorb!! 64l was all I could afford at the time but knew I had to get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom