Angry at pet shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But how about helping and giving advice instead of being all ITS YOUR FAULT. That's only going to make people feel worse or guilty of genuine mistakes.

He was giving advice... Telling the OP that it was not the lfs fault but somthing that went wrong during acclimation or somthing in OPs tank...

He was giving advice... Telling the OP that it was not the lfs fault but somthing that went wrong during acclimation or somthing in OPs tank...

Bit difficult to say it was the lfs fault without knowing any information about the OP's tank. It may have been acclimation it may have been a sick fish it may have been tank parameters it may have been stress.

Now that we know a bit more information about the OPs tank it may be easier to say what went wrong.

I agree with earlier advice: if a fish seems sickly in the store, don't buy it.

Bit difficult to say it was the lfs fault without knowing any information about the OP's tank. It may have been acclimation it may have been a sick fish it may have been tank parameters it may have been stress.

Now that we know a bit more information about the OPs tank it may be easier to say what went wrong.

I agree with earlier advice: if a fish seems sickly in the store, don't buy it.

I agree. It's a bit like buying a car with a broken windshield and then complaining about it. No disrespect, and it may not be that blatant, but if you have any doubt about the fish, don't buy it.

Lesson learned! (y)

Getting used to the idea that fish die is hard. We take responsibility for each life we bring into our own circle. I feel just as bad if it cost 50 cents as I do if it cost $20. Unfortunately most fish are so stressed out when we get them, they have little chance. We all make mistakes, even those who have been long time fish keepers. I am sure the store would replace it. It is a good idea to drip acclimate however you want to do it. I have never had any luck with the air tubing method so I use the turkey baster way. The OP can upgrade her tank as the fish grow. I did that with my Mollies. There are many paths to the same result.

I usually ask when the fish arrived (as where they came from could have different water conditions). If was yesterday, etc then I skip and come back later in the week.

I usually ask when the fish arrived (as where they came from could have different water conditions). If was yesterday, etc then I skip and come back later in the week.

Yea my lfs will label the tanks with dates for all salt water and freshwater is primarily localy breeded arives as needed full warranty as well

The way I was 'advised' to introduce fish to my tank was the way I have known for a few years now, and because it works and I didn't have problems didn't think anything of it. I am not a complete newbie as I have a tropical setup also that is doing very well and I consider them to be more fragile than Goldie's. The mother in law has offered to go back there today and sort it out, knowing her she will probably have a row, as long as she gets my money back!

You are being rude. If he/she is a first time fish keeper you can and will make mistakes. So you've never made mistakes in the past then?

Back to the OP, Pets at home are VERY bad for advice, to them cycling a tank is leaving it for 3 days and that's it. I have gone as far as reporting my local store to head office for their bad care and for selling me diseased fish, advice and snotty attitudes to customers.

I went in the other day and told them right out I had reported them and the answer I got back was "well we know how to look after the fish and we are very knowledgeable" looks like it doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I believe we live and learn, you've learned to never ever listen to pet stores such as pets at home, do research, go to forums and you'll be fine. Good luck.

That's a pretty broad statement to make about pets at home. I have one near me which I get my plants from. I have got fish from there in the past. Where I live they are given a list of questions to ask the buyer. ( how long the tank has been setup, what size, water changes, how many fish etc) they also WILL NOT sell any fish which is going Into a tank with no filter or heater. The staff where I go are friendly and give mediocre advice. They will refund a fish if you want.

OP: I think it's very important for you to do your own research before buying fish. I generally won't buy a fish if I have a doubt that it's ill. Despite that, did you follow what it said on the bag? Even though it's not the best acclimation method, I've never lost a fish doing it. ( just my personal experience) next time I'd float the bag a little longer or do drip acclimation

You are being rude. If he/she is a first time fish keeper you can and will make mistakes. So you've never made mistakes in the past then?

Back to the OP, Pets at home are VERY bad for advice, to them cycling a tank is leaving it for 3 days and that's it. I have gone as far as reporting my local store to head office for their bad care and for selling me diseased fish, advice and snotty attitudes to customers.

I went in the other day and told them right out I had reported them and the answer I got back was "well we know how to look after the fish and we are very knowledgeable" looks like it doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I believe we live and learn, you've learned to never ever listen to pet stores such as pets at home, do research, go to forums and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Lol I'm wondering how someone who's name is "newtofish" can have such a self-righteous attitude when they're clearly as unknowledgeable as the staff at some silly LFS ... Get off your high horse. Their just giving advice, would you prefer they lie to him and tell him everything's going to be okay ?

Best of luck! Let us know how you go. Mums and Mothers-in-law. Bless 'em, where would we be without them. Now if the family would allow allow that second tank....

Just been to pets at home to get my money back and got a full refund. They offered either a new fish or a refund which makes me suspicious cos they didn't ask about them testing the water or anything. Anyway went don't the road to swallow aquatics where they were cheaper and I prefer those to pets at home cos our original Goldie's that are years old came from. The bloke from swallow aquatics said that it could not be my water ( which it isn't cos I've tested ) because I have got fish already in and happy.

Just been to pets at home to get my money back and got a full refund. They offered either a new fish or a refund which makes me suspicious cos they didn't ask about them testing the water or anything. Anyway went don't the road to swallow aquatics where they were cheaper and I prefer those to pets at home cos our original Goldie's that are years old came from. The bloke from swallow aquatics said that it could not be my water ( which it isn't cos I've tested ) because I have got fish already in and happy.

It could of been your acclimation process though.

Doubtful. I sometimes bring hundreds of fish into my fishroom at a time, and if I were going to drip them it would take more time than I have. There are very few fish that I don't just temp match and drop into the tanks. It's very rare that I have any problems this way (that I wouldn't have already, some fish just don't do that well in transport and occasional losses are inevitable)... But we're talking about goldfish here, not chocolate gouramis or discus or something.

The OP noted that the fish looked a little "off" in the store, and the OP 's parameters were just fine. I think sick, stressed goldfish is the most obvious answer. Healthy, robust goldfish just aren't going to have any trouble with a trip across town and a float and plop.

Last edited:
Doubtful. I sometimes bring hundreds of fish into my fishroom at a time, and if I were going to drip them it would take more time than I have. There are very few fish that I don't just temp match and drop into the tanks. It's very rare that I have any problems this way (that I wouldn't have already, some fish just don't do that well in transport and occasional losses are inevitable)... But we're talking about goldfish here, not chocolate gouramis or discus or something.

The OP noted that the fish looked a little "off" in the store, and the OP 's parameters were just fine. I think sick, stressed goldfish is the most obvious answer. Healthy, robust goldfish just aren't going to have any trouble with a trip across town and a float and plop.

Hmm curious then... when would a drip method be best used if at all. Totally agree you cant do that at a pet store with there weekly shipments or anything. Then you have an average hobbiest like me that has the time and only get 1 or 2 fish at a time.

So is it needed at all or is it more of a if your keeping your tank clean and changing the water then match the temp and put them in.

Drip is great when you are introducing a fish that is known to be sensitive or if you know that your water is drastically different in ph or hardness.

Drip is great when you are introducing a fish that is known to be sensitive or if you know that your water is drastically different in ph or hardness.

So best used for biotype style tanks or beginner's with crazy high nitrates. Lol

Ive always done it since I had the time however I plan to set up my first fish room when I move end of December and anticipate not having the time in the future

Back
Top Bottom