Another Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HaveQuestions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this, as I imagine you get a lot of these.

So our four year old daughter wanted to get some fish, and my wife and I were all on board. We just got ourselves started, and my main objective is to determine if there is anything urgent we need to address. My secondary objective for this post is to start learning so that we can get a lot out of our new family hobby.

We started with a 10 gallon "starter kit" and picked up a heater that was pre set to 79oF. We added "Aqua Terra" black sand, filled the tank with water and added some conditioner that came with the tank. The fellow at the store told us to run everything for 4 days and then come back for the fish. We also added a couple props.

After 6 days, we went back to the store and picked up three guppies. The store also had live plants, which I thought was really interesting. So the person at the store recommended two types of plants: "Anubias b var. angustifolia" and "Java fern" (as itemized on the receipt). I tried planting the Anubias in the sand: one has some roots exposed. The fellow at the store suggested I tie the fern to the piece of ironwood we have in the tank. I tried this, but had trouble removing the fern from the "strawish" pad that it came with, so I just spread it out a bit and placed the piece of wood on top to weigh it down. Before doing this, I did tie two small pieces of fern to the wood. Everything was added to the tank last Friday.

When I asked about "maintenance", I was told to just replace 25% of the water every week and replace the filter on the pump once a month.

I have noticed a couple leaves on the fern have gotten black, and the tip of one leaf of the Anubias is a little yellow.

I am vaguely aware of the chemistry and balance between the fish and the plants, but only in the slightest bit.

So, here are my questions:
1. Based on what I have described, is there anything that jeopardises the health of the fish or the plants?
2. How often and how much do we feed the three guppies? Does their behaviour change at all if they are hungry? What is our margin for error here?
3. Do we need to do anything to change how I placed the plants? Is it okay to leave that "pad" that came with the fern?
4. What should we monitor?
5. Did I miss anything?

We really like our aquarium. I especially like how the guppies swim in and around the plants. My wife and I would like to use the aquarium to teach our daughter about nature and eco-systems. Right now, she is really into it and asking all sorts of questions. I am not shy about maintenance, even if it is daily, as long as I understand it, perform it well, and can explain it to our daughter.

I am going to try and upload a photo....

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and provide some input.

Attachments

• IMG_20161106_173859.jpg
    IMG_20161106_173859.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 56
You should invest in an API test kit. And test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Most of those bacteria cocktails don't deliver. Your tank will start building up fish waste and ammonia. Do 50%+ water changes until the ammonia is 0.

There is a getting started pin about fish in tank cycling that has loads more details.

Found it...
Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

Thanks!
Are there different types of API test kits? Would the pet store where I got the fish have them?

Seems like I shouldn't wait for replacing the water, so I am thinking of replacing some tonight. Would that be okay? Any practical advice on replacing such amounts of water? How do you remove it from the tank?

Thanks again.

Here is the info. Any clean hose will start a siphon. Just don't suck up the fish. A few days with 3 fish in 10g, you might have a bit of time before it builds. IMG_1478571969.760873.jpgIMG_1478571978.693168.jpg

Amazon addicted...

Don't buy test strips they are inaccurate.

Thank you!

I just replaced 2 gallons since I want to reduce the risk.

Is it okay to remove 50% of the water in one shot? I guess I would have to unplug the pump eh? How concerned should I be over the temperature of the water I am pouring into the tank?

Up to 50% is fine. But you should make sure you use a water conditioner if your water have chlorine and anything else that needs treatment. Try to be within 5 degrees of your tank water or you can shock the fish.

Healthy guppies always act hungry. We started with guppies because our daughter wanted fish, and letting a five year-old feed the fish whenever they look hungry took us through a lot of food really quickly.

What I have read is to take 3 to 5 minutes twice a day to feed the fish. Add a little bit at a time so there isn't much uneaten food. At the end, scoop out whatever is uneaten.

Anubias have rhizomes that need to be above the substrate. I can't really tell what the hay thing is from your picture. I think the plants look really nice. There will be some transition for them, but remove black parts.

What kind of filter do you have? You probably don't have to change its inserts as often as you were told.

I'll add my voice to the chorus on the API master test kit. Strips are not only inaccurate but also expensive, and buying the individual tests in the kit (which you will probably end up doing) is more expensive than just buying the kit.

Yea! Family fish tank!

Can you please explain "above the substrate"? I tried looking it up but I don't understand what you mean.

I called the store about the hay thing that came with the Java fern, and it is based on coconut, so it should be all good in the tank.

Thanks for all the help. I picked up the test kit so now I have to figure that out.

Thanks for your responses!

"Above the substrate" refers to the placement of the plant's rhizome in relation to the substrate (gravel, sand). The rhizome is the base of the plant where the roots and stems originate from. Burying below the substrate will usually lead to rotting and eventual death of the plant. Placing it so that it is slightly above the substrate gives it a better chance at surviving.

Yay for beginner's luck.

I had some "trouble" planting the Anubias, and so left a little bit of the root, at the base of the plant exposed. It was one of the things I forgot to ask, so thank you for mentioning it.

When you do water changes, do I need to turn off the pump? I have been doing so as I thought it would cause an issue trying to pump air through it.

Also, another fellow asked about the type of filter: how can I determine this?

I have been doing 10% changes once a day, since I am still concerned about the temperature difference between the tank and the water I add. I plan to increase the frequency to twice a day, with more changes on the weekends.

You are all quite fantastic with your help, we really appreciate it, thank you.

It looks like a porous foam pouch with some loose material inside of it. I tried uploading a photo of it

Attachments

• IMG_20161109_223133.jpg
    IMG_20161109_223133.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 30
That's good. The model that has the LED has it switched on by conductivity, so it's actually a terrible indicator that is very annoying.

Unfortunately, you will have to change your cartridges every few weeks. There are tutorials on how to make your own, which means you can decide what you want to keep and what to toss. I haven't tried any of that, though.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Are you able to explain what these cartridges are filtering and what causes their deterioration?

Back
Top Bottom