API Ammonia Test - Showing Clear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting my first tank. I got the API master test kit as everybody raves about it on here. All of the tests yield clear results except when I test for ammonia, the liquid just stays clear the whole time, it does not change any color. Does anybody else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bad batch?

I am starting my first tank. I got the API master test kit as everybody raves about it on here. All of the tests yield clear results except when I test for ammonia, the liquid just stays clear the whole time, it does not change any color. Does anybody else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bad batch?

Welcome Aboard!

All of them are clear as in no color, or as 0ppm?

I'd suggest reading the instructions again and follow them closely for each test, deviate from them and the results are null and void IMO/E.

Hmm. Have you been putting the right amount of drops in the tube? I believe it requires eight drops from bottle 1 and another eight drops from bottle 2. Then you must shake it for five seconds and wait five minutes for accurate results. Hope this helps!

Welcome Aboard!

All of them are clear as in no color, or as 0ppm?

I'd suggest reading the instructions again and follow them closely for each test, deviate from them and the results are null and void IMO/E.

Thanks! Sorry for the bad wording. All of the tests work except Ammonia, where the liquid just stays clear.

I think I found the problem though... the instructions refer to bottle #1 and bottle #2, but I have two bottles labeled "Ammonia bottle #1." At first I assumed you just did one and then the other in either order, but since the Nitrate test has two separate bottles (labeled #1 and #2), I'm thinking I got two of one instead of one of each. Can someone more experienced confirm this?

Hmm. Have you been putting the right amount of drops in the tube? I believe it requires eight drops from bottle 1 and another eight drops from bottle 2. Then you must shake it for five seconds and wait five minutes for accurate results. Hope this helps!

Yep, I did exactly this. Thinking one of my bottles should be different.

I believe they've accidentally packaged two #1 bottles then. You should have an ammonia #1 and ammonia #2 bottle. I'd contact API and see what they can do to correct their error.

Thanks. I'll probably just go back to the store and see if they'll swap it so I can get started testing right away. Thanks everyone.

Thanks! Sorry for the bad wording. All of the tests work except Ammonia, where the liquid just stays clear.

I think I found the problem though... the instructions refer to bottle #1 and bottle #2, but I have two bottles labeled "Ammonia bottle #1." At first I assumed you just did one and then the other in either order, but since the Nitrate test has two separate bottles (labeled #1 and #2), I'm thinking I got two of one instead of one of each. Can someone more experienced confirm this?

Wow, that's not good. The list of bottles in the kit are as follows:

Ammo #1/#2 (they say ammonia on them)
NitrIte (no2) 1 bottle only
NitrAte (no3) #1/#2 (they say nitrAte on them)
pH 1 bottle only
pH High range 1 bottle only

Sounds strange that you would have two bottles labeled ammonia bottle 1... But I guess it's a possibility. Yeah, for me the 2nd bottle delivers the "color" you're looking for.

Followed the directions and tested for ammonia.

More than 10 minutes after inserting solutions, color shows 0.50 ppm.

Left the testing vial sitting overnight. Wake up next morning and the color shows 8.0 ppm.

What does this mean? Will the test results change over time going from bad to worst?

Are the test results only good after 5 minutes or so as per the brochure?

Followed the directions and tested for ammonia.

More than 10 minutes after inserting solutions, color shows 0.50 ppm.

Left the testing vial sitting overnight. Wake up next morning and the color shows 8.0 ppm.

What does this mean? Will the test results change over time going from bad to worst?

Are the test results only good after 5 minutes or so as per the brochure?

Welcome to AA!! I would run the test again following the directions to the letter. What the results read after the 5min wait are what your tank reads. Then dump out the solution and rinse the vials. You may want to check your tap water as well for ammonia.

I have seen the ammonia tests change color when left overnight (usually to orange or clear) but I have not seen them change from a low ammonia reading to an off the chart one before. Just base it on what your tests show at the 5min mark. :)

Back
Top Bottom