Apistogramma Cacatuoides biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since the apistos have been quite boring as of late, and I'm still cycling tank 2, I thought I would share some pictures of a tank no one on the forum has seen yet (for 2 years anyways) View attachment 284072View attachment 284073View attachment 284074View attachment 284075anyone know male or female boesmani here ^
View attachment 284076same tank nov 2014

Sent from Luca via magic

I love those rainbows, especially the turquoise you have in there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Time for a much long overdue update!!

Top tank FTS ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457926583.463347.jpg
Male
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457926601.029212.jpg
Female
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457926614.615968.jpg

Things have been going really well with this pair, and in the last few weeks I've started to see some courting action by the female so I'm hoping for some fry in the next few months.

Exiting news, the bottom tank that is going to have A. Agassizii (spelling?) Is set up and done cycling so that should be getting stocked soon also.
FTS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457926846.629517.jpg

All questions and comments appreciated.

Sent from Luca via magic

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457926798.080765.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457926798.080765.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 50
Looks good!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

From a new local fish store near me in B.C, it's called Fish Addicts.

Sent from Luca via magic

Update!! Got a pair of apistogramma agassizii last weekend and they have already spawned for me!!! Not expecting anything to come out of it but just in case I got a brine shrimp reactor up and running. Did some rescaping on the cacatuoides tank in hopes of finally getting them to spawn. Started feeding earthworms daily as well to try to really get the breeding drive going. Pics will be up on Saturday as I won't be around the fish for a few days. As for the middle tank which, apisto I am unsure as to what I want... So many choices!!! I'll keep everyone posted.

Sent from Luca via magic

Congrats on the spawn!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

are you going for a biotype, those rainbows are Australian/new guinea they would not come from the same area, i am setting up a south american 90 gallon biotype, and have a 45 gallon Asian river biotype, they are really cool.

How old is that tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

are you going for a biotype, those rainbows are Australian/new guinea they would not come from the same area, i am setting up a south american 90 gallon biotype, and have a 45 gallon Asian river biotype, they are really cool.

Nope, just a general rainbow tank, I knew the rainbows were from different regions. Thanks for the heads up though :)

Sent from Luca via magic

Pictures!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462329236.530385.jpg
Female cac

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462329268.541871.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462329292.410259.jpg
Male cac

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462329316.791852.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462329374.891065.jpg
Female agisizzii and fry (total count 17)

Sent from Luca via magic

Beautiful fish, love the male apisto aggasi!

Is the cacatuides a double red?

Thanks! The cacatuoides wasn't given a colour classification when I purchased him, but I would say he is a double red. Question for any apisto (or other general dwarf cichlid) keepers out their. The cacatuoides have been conditioned for a few weeks now, yet neither fish seems to want to spawn. I'm looking for some tips on how to induce spawning. Big water change with colder water? i rearranged the tank to provide some better caves for the pair but the female doesn't show any interest in them either. if someone could throw their two cents in here that would be much appreciated!

Well I found the problem... Turns out my female is actually a sneaker male. This is nice yet unfortunate at the same time. So i don't know what to do. I refuse to return him and risk he gets a poor home, so id like to keep him. If I add two females to the tank would that be alright? There is tons of cover and many many caves so I don't think aggression will be an issue. Thoughts?

Ps. Agassizii fry down to only 9, but these 9 are very healthy. Mother is great and dad won't hurt any of them while they are near mom. I'll keep the updates coming.

Sent from Luca via magic

Update time! Cacatuoides have been very boring because my LFS sold the female that were supposed to be held for me, was very upset but I'll be going somewhere else for them now. The sneaker make is beginning to develop well so that's making me happy tho. Pics
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465857654.184973.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465857667.223905.jpg
Here the agi pair and the now month and a half old fry
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465857713.610386.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465857729.510754.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465857771.121128.jpg

Also good news. Found out that a small creek near were I live has large populations of black worms, bloodworms, and mosquito larvae so that is exiting. Going to try my hand at culturing the black worms and bloodworms, might make another forum post talking about that if things are successful.

Sent from Luca via magic

Back
Top Bottom