Apistogramma Cacatuoides biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the fish are definitely sexable so now it's up to me to condition them. Went out and bought 5 nannostomus eques (rocket pencil fish), going next Sunday to buy the rest from the store. On a side note, caught my pristella tetras spawning this morning, so I'm going to work on getting some fry out of them too. Any tips on breeding the rocket pencils or the tetras are welcome. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451258200.018981.jpg

Sent from Luca via magic

Photo updates (sorry for iPhone quality)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451953812.063058.jpg
Fish rack that I realize I havnt shared, top is apisto cacatuoides, middle will be apistogramma abacaxis (aka wilhelmi), and bottom is cycling for apistogramma Agassizzi.

Fish
Female
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451953917.247063.jpg
Male
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451953934.554094.jpg
Pencil fish
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451953952.009103.jpg

Little bonus, grabbed some Java fern out of my rainbowfish tank and put it into a different tank and found a little fry so I will see how he turns out.

Still in search of good tips for culturing black worms and breeding the nannostomus eques.

Sent from Luca via magic

Can't help on black worms or pencil fish but nice set up!

I'm interested in how the pisto do/breed with the pencil as I am need of safe company for my pistos..
What are you culturing in bucket???

My blackworm setup is simple:

A small tub
1" of water
A couple plastic mesh sheets
Just siphon out dirt and water every couple days, replace with new water. Don't have to be fed or nothing. They do prefer it a bit cooler, so make sure you can do that. Fish love it, I love, works for everyone!

Nice setups, you guys are making me really jealous of all these pistos.....

Can't help on black worms or pencil fish but nice set up!

I'm interested in how the pisto do/breed with the pencil as I am need of safe company for my pistos..
What are you culturing in bucket???

I'll let you know how the pencil fish work, but their mouths are so small I don't think they have any chance to eat a fry even if they wanted :D. Very observant to pick up the bucket, its my copepod/cyclops culture which is doing well but im looking in to turning it into a daphnia culture soon as they are sooo small. Also thank you Nils for that, hopefully i can get my hands on some black worms now.

Beautiful setup, I'm so jealous!!! What kind of stand is that? Maybe I missed it...

@Nils, how long can they go without being fed? I thought they needed to fed to provide more nutritional value to the fish.....

Beautiful setup, I'm so jealous!!! What kind of stand is that? Maybe I missed it...

@Nils, how long can they go without being fed? I thought they needed to fed to provide more nutritional value to the fish.....

Firstly thank you! As I get the other two tanks filled with pencil fish and the apisto pairs it will be awesome. Now for the stand, it is a 72" tall, 36" wide, 24" deep, 5 shelf, blue planet resin shelf with a 1000lb weight capacity. I like it and it fits the tanks well, but it makes tank maintenance a little difficult.

Sent from Luca via magic

Firstly thank you! As I get the other two tanks filled with pencil fish and the apisto pairs it will be awesome. Now for the stand, it is a 72" tall, 36" wide, 24" deep, 5 shelf, blue planet resin shelf with a 1000lb weight capacity. I like it and it fits the tanks well, but it makes tank maintenance a little difficult.

Sent from Luca via magic

Sounds similar to what I use. I'm late back to the party but do you only keep one kind of apistos? Pencil fish are so cool. I'm jealous!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds similar to what I use. I'm late back to the party but do you only keep one kind of apistos? Pencil fish are so cool. I'm jealous!

Currently I only have my one pair of apistos in the top tank. The middle tank has some rescue tetras which will eventually become a apisto tank, and the bottom is cycling and once it is done it will be getting some agassizzi. Hope that clears it up.

Sent from Luca via magic

Currently I only have my one pair of apistos in the top tank. The middle tank has some rescue tetras but it will eventually become a apisto tank, and the bottom is cycling and once it is done it will be getting some agassizzi. Hope that clears it up.

Sent from Luca via magic

Currently I only have my one pair of apistos in the top tank. The middle tank has some rescue tetras but it will eventually become a apisto tank, and the bottom is cycling and once it is done it will be getting some agassizzi. Hope that clears it up.

Sent from Luca via magic
I have one apisto tank also. Iniridae

Brenna

Curious if anyone has any experience with repashy foods? Specifically the redrum, community plus, and the Spawn and grow. These have become available to me now and would like to know some people experiences.

I do
I have community plus and spawn and grow. Haven't fed it to the apistos yet. Sometimes I mix multiple kinds together. Smells awful when you make it but fish love it.

Brenna

Love your tanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

question for everyone. Got some BBA in the tank growing solely on the java moss, and its red, the colour you expect it to look prior to dying. Curious to know if anyone else has experienced BBA that is only red (No black at all)

Yes ive had it on my anubias when my lights were on for one 9 hour block a day and i was fertilizing way too much. This was also a newly established tank. I dropped the photoperiod to two 4 hour blocks and cut my ferts. It went away.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Yes ive had it on my anubias when my lights were on for one 9 hour block a day and i was fertilizing way too much. This was also a newly established tank. I dropped the photoperiod to two 4 hour blocks and cut my ferts. It went away.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

How long was the period between the two four hour periods.

Sent from Luca via magic

Since the apistos have been quite boring as of late, and I'm still cycling tank 2, I thought I would share some pictures of a tank no one on the forum has seen yet (for 2 years anyways) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453435916.453415.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453435938.883099.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453435954.215131.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453435965.903592.jpganyone know male or female boesmani here ^
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453436018.826297.jpgsame tank nov 2014

Sent from Luca via magic

Just something else, tank 2 which is currently under cycle has some filamentous diatoms (seems like it at least). Anyone know if these disappear like normal diatoms or it it on me for manual removal?

Sent from Luca via magic

Back
Top Bottom