Aquarium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in search of a hood with a light for my 29g aquarium. It will be lightly planted with low light plants and maybe some moderate light plants, probably around 5 plants to start. I am just about clueless when it comes to lights. I know I would really prefer LEDs but I'm not against fluorescent if I have to go with that. If I must go fluorescent, I would prefer the compact. Anyway, can anyone suggest hood's with lights that would work? Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions!

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure if they make compact fluorescent hoods for a tank that big? Fluorescents are better for low light plants but the bulbs need changing every 6-12 mos. leds are way better but cost a lot more upfront and are high light so you'd have algae problems if you stick with slow growing low light plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I honestly don't know, but I liked that they stay cooler than standard fluorescent lights. I wasn't aware that leds were high light. I have no problem adjusting my plant choices.

How is the Marineland LED hood? The problem is that I really need a hood and I'm not finding any LEDs powerful enough in a hood.

Just get a glass top and an led?? For low light checkout a current satellite plus.. a little more.power?? Finnex planted plus.. aqueon versa tops are solid..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Marineland hoods are pretty weak and you can't add more light if I remember right. You can grow Java ferns and mosses and other very low light plants under almost anything. But if you want a wider variety of plants then you may want more lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay. Thanks guys. I guess I'll just go with a glass top.

Back
Top Bottom