Aquarium Salt Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well do you know how to use it. Can it dissolve in coldwater.

Yes when I used it, id take tank water and dissolve it then pour it back in. It does it rather fast.

You'll have a much harder time dissolving it in cold water before putting it into a tank. I'm just trying to think which coldwater fish requires salt? Care to share?

Wow, just read some of the information via the link you shared:

However, the recommended dosage from Doc Johnson is 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water every 12 hours not to exceed 3 treatments.

I would definitely take that information with a grain of um..... you knew this was coming, didn't you.... salt.

Every 12 hours? That would peel the skin off some species.

Aquarium Salt

I have a box of Aquarium salt but i am not sure if it can dissolve in coldwater. also i found a webpage telling you how to use aquarium salt. it is the second post. Is this accurate.
Fishkeeping - Using salt in your aquarium [Forums - General Information]

Hello ed...

Anything you put in water will eventually dissolve. Standard aquarium salt will definitely dissolve in cold water.

You can use standard aquarium salt, commercial canning salt and Kosher salt in fresh water aquariums. If you keep the amount used to no more than a teaspoon for every 4 to 5 gallons of your tank replacement water, your plants and salt sensative fish will be fine.

B

I am actaully considering putting a tiny bit in my fish bowl(half gallon) because the fish is kinda sick i think. How much would i need. Also my aquarium salt says to "put heating on 80 farheinheit and aeration and filteration at max". Do i need to listen.

eduguy said:
I am actaully considering putting a tiny bit in my fish bowl(half gallon) because the fish is kinda sick i think. How much would i need. Also my aquarium salt says to "put heating on 80 farheinheit and aeration and filteration at max". Do i need to listen.

"Kinda sick" gives absolutely no information and the concept of using salt to treat this mysterious kinda illness is like hoping to treat what might be anything from a cold to meningitis with chicken soup. You're better off posting in the Unhealthy Fish forum with actual details about, objectively, what appears wrong with your fish, along with your current tank set up, etc. (There's a sticky post there that has a series of questions to answer.)

"Kinda sick" gives absolutely no information and the concept of using salt to treat this mysterious kinda illness is like hoping to treat what might be anything from a cold to meningitis with chicken soup. You're better off posting in the Unhealthy Fish forum with actual details about, objectively, what appears wrong with your fish, along with your current tank set up, etc. (There's a sticky post there that has a series of questions to answer.)
WEll i asked and someone said there was probably a parasite. But that was when there was a white thing stickingout of its butt.

eduguy said:
WEll i asked and someone said there was probably a parasite. But that was when there was a white thing stickingout of its butt.
Sticking with one thread is the best way to get help and for the people trying to help to get accurate information.

I just have a lot of questions.
Can you use aquarium salt with Rosy Red Minnows because i read that it is really good for your tank but it says not to always use it.

Also, you said half gallon bowl?
Does It have a heater(or at about 78°F naturally) and filter and is it cycled? If you don't meet those things that can be your problem. And you need 5g-10g to house the minnow nicely, which could be why its acting 'funny'. Half a gallon is way to small for sure.

And small amounts of salt can help your fish even if there freshwater.

That topic is actually widely and hotly debated on most forums and probably around some dining room tables, too. I'm sure if you do a search on it in this forum, you might find lots of dialogue on both sides of the argument. :D

Back
Top Bottom