Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Benificial Bacteria - Optimum temperature

probably a silly / obvious question but what is the best temperature to set my new tank at whilst it is cycling ??

Old 11-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbandrea
probably a silly / obvious question but what is the best temperature to set my new tank at whilst it is cycling ??
Between 75-80 F if you're keeping tropicals. BB like warm temps.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #3

Great question...what if you aren't keeping tropicals...

The Nitrofying bacteria is diferent for saltwater vs. freshwater tanks...does the temperature change for Brackish fish?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're doing a fishless cycle keep the temp a bit high because I believe bb like warmer temperatures.

If your doing a fish in cycle then just keep it at the temp you will be keeping your fish at.

*for freshwater
Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

The sources I found said that in freshwater the ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria had ideal temps of 95F and 100F.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
The sources I found said that in freshwater the ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria had ideal temps of 95F and 100F.
If you're growing bacteria in a petri dish, you're going to be doing it around 37C, which is smack in the middle of that range. That may or may not translate into aquatic environment, but I don't see why it shouldn't.

I would definitely try mid-high 80s. Pushing it higher than that might not be practical.

Don't do this if you have plants or fish in there.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just practical experience here, but i have done both fish-in & fishless cycles without a heater so whether its absolutely necessary, i do not believe so.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

No, it's not necessary provided that you don't have the aquarium in extreme temps... but it certainly speeds it up when you crank up the heat. I'd say mid to upper 80's is about all you'll get out of most heaters anyways. I can't remember, but I think my heaters only go up to 88 or 90.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Its not about whats necessary, but whats optimum. The bacteria will still grow well even below 50.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

There's one other train of thought here. I've read (read, mind you, not researched) that different strains/species of bacteria do better in different temperature/ph ranges, so it might make more sense to have it running near the temperature that the tank is going to be at all the time.

Not sure how much of a difference it'll make, but still.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Look It Up

It probably doesn't matter a huge amount either way; the tank will cycle regardless. The higher temp may speed it up by a few days or a week or so but it isn't needed for the tank to cycle. If it's a fishless cycle, the recommended temp is 86 degrees fahrehneit or thereabouts. I've read temps over 100-120 degrees can kill the bacteria. If it's a fish-in cycle you want to keep the temp at the normal range for tropical fish, usually about 77-78 degrees unless you have fish that require a different temp.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #12

Fishless cycling can run in as little a 12-15 days, greatly effected by the temp. I haven't run trials to see how much the temp alone can speed things up, but even a week makes your tank that much more enjoyable that much sooner.

Tags
bacteria, temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com