Betta Fish Project?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katy410

Aquarium Advice Activist
For one of my classes in school, we have a project. So me and my partner would like to train two betta fish! Both of them would be kept in separate tanks, of course. If I was going to put a Cory cat in with it, probably in a tiny tank (1-2 gallons, maybe.) Would this interfere with anything, and would the betta kill the Cory cat? Also, wold I need a filter, heater, and test kit? And could I transport the fish to and from school, weekly? (It may end up staying in the classroom). Would this add lots of stress to the fish? Thanks~

Although I have kept many betas before, this time, I'll get a heater, but because we need to have two if the same tanks, I don't know. Thanks,
~Katy

Ok I would reccomend to get a small 2.5-5 gallon for each beta with a micro filter and micro heater included. You do need to cycle the tank even for a Betta.

Also don't get a Cory cat they need at least 20 gallon tanks and need to be in groups of at least 5.

Heaters are a must unless you keep your room temp extremely high and at a constant temp. Filter is a MUST! Please read about cycling a tank so you understand what a fish is exposed to in an unfiltered tank. The toxins can and do easily kill fish.

As far as transporting them to and from school, I wouldn't. That could really add a lot of unnecessary stress to their lives. Start by keeping them where you'll have the most time to train them. Once the training is complete you can move them if needed, but certainly don't run them back and forth.

+1 on 2.5-5 gallon minimum on the tank size. Bettas are a great fish with loads of personality. Give them the space to show off for you. You won't regret it.

So, hold the pitchforks, I found out what I'm going to do. We have a 30 gal tank in class, with two small nets, but they still have the ability to reach the air and such. We're house img two bettas, I know they fight, but the nets should hold 'em off. The tank is almost fully cycled, the teacher did it with some 1$ tetras, don't think bad, I had no say in this. We will be training them soon!

Back
Top Bottom