Betta Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks McLumpy :( I think he is acting crazy... I hope it isn't anything that ive done wrong.... He does look like he has a little buldge maybe? Idk...it was rough getting him here in that little cup... and I didn't float him cause I drip acclimated him for about an hour so i figured everything was okay. I have another fish in the tank ( Pleco UGH) he's been fine... so idk...

I have no doubt that you did everything right. A little hang up in the net, too much or too little drip acclimation, etc. wouldn't cause him to act that way. I honestly think you just got a sick Betta. It happens. Sometimes they don't last but a day, sometimes they last a few months.

That's what happened w/ my last Betta... he lasted a few months then started acting like yours. Sadly, he passed in front of my eyes. :( Honestly, if he was sick when I got him, (which is what I think was the case), I would have much rather had him pass within a few days. I really got attached to that li'l guy and it was tough for me to see him pass, (w/ no warning either... that was the odd part).

McLumpy said:
I have no doubt that you did everything right. A little hang up in the net, too much or too little drip acclimation, etc. wouldn't cause him to act that way. I honestly think you just got a sick Betta. It happens. Sometimes they don't last but a day, sometimes they last a few months.

That's what happened w/ my last Betta... he lasted a few months then started acting like yours. Sadly, he passed in front of my eyes. :( Honestly, if he was sick when I got him, (which is what I think was the case), I would have much rather had him pass within a few days. I really got attached to that li'l guy and it was tough for me to see him pass, (w/ no warning either... that was the odd part).

Thanks... That really makes me feel better. I always feel at fault with these things ... I take things personal. Low self esteem lol
Anywho.... Seems I'm having terrible luck getting fish for my ten gallon. I've only lost two to death but ive had three sets of fish already. I'm getting very discouraged... I still have my 55 to go....

I'm sorry about your betta :( I suppose I agree sooner is better than later if he's sick:( it's still sad either way . They are so unique which makes it worse

Hubert90 said:
What is ur ph? Coz Berra pefers more acidic ph. And ur temp is perfect for betta. Can u post a pic of him in ur tank?

My ph is 8.2. I tried drip acclimation...i can try to post one tomorrow but I fear he won't make it :(

Flossie said:
My ph is 8.2. I tried drip acclimation...i can try to post one tomorrow but I fear he won't make it :(

Wow that is really high for a betta. But I think it's gonna be really hard for u to reduce ur ph. Is ur tap water ph 8.2 as well?

Hubert90 said:
Wow that is really high for a betta. But I think it's gonna be really hard for u to reduce ur ph. Is ur tap water ph 8.2 as well?

Yeah it is... That's why I tried the drip acclimation method. With PWC once a week I figured it would be fluctuating and be worse.

I had just treated the aquarium
With melafix but I out in like 40% fresh water.

Got up out of bed and done another PWC in case the aquarium Is to medicated for him. It's 2 am. Maybe I can sleep now knowing I've done all I know and can do. Idk maybe that's worse?? Ahhhh poor guy :(

The malefix thing dawned on me while I was laying in bed. I treated the tank for a week with it then did a PWC ... But I read somewhere that bettas don't as strong of a dose... So I thought more FW. Might help :( tears

Flossie said:
Got up out of bed and done another PWC in case the aquarium Is to medicated for him. It's 2 am. Maybe I can sleep now knowing I've done all I know and can do. Idk maybe that's worse?? Ahhhh poor guy :(

I'm sure ur betta will be fine. Whatever condition he's in, it has to be better than the condition back at ur Lfs!

Hubert90 said:
Ya u should use 1/5 the dose. Coz bettafix is the same as melafix but at 1/5 the strength.

That's what I had remembered reading so maybe the melafix was still
A little strong. My previous fish had mouth fungus I took them back and treated the tank for a week... I didn't think the melafix to be a problem... Then I was like .. Oooooo 1/5 maybe it's that making him act crazy ?? Lol idk

Homedog98 said:
How is he doing today?

He was not doing well. I know everyone thinks I crazy but I took him back. He just didn't act right at all... Idk ... And he was 15 dollars... I can't really afford to pay that much for one fish. I would think it's something in my water but I have a pleco in there. I just got some tetras. Hopefully I'll have luck with these. I don't wanna kill any fish and it Makes me really sad when they die in my tank ... I'm sorry I'm a nervous Newbie...

He wouldn't eat and was just laying against stuff.. Floating weird and everything...

Back
Top Bottom