Betta Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flossie said:
LOL thanks for the boost homedog :) You rock :) lol that must have been fun telling your parents :) :whistle:

Told my dad first... He didn't know about the male bettas rep. When I told my mom, she was like, "you what???!!!" And I was thinking... "man the bunker!!!" then she just told me that it was my tank and if I wanted to kill my fish it wasn't her problem. Well now look who's talking mom! :p lol. Elvis is awesome! Definitely look into getting another betta!

Homedog98 said:
Told my dad first... He didn't know about the male bettas rep. When I told my mom, she was like, "you what???!!!" And I was thinking... "man the bunker!!!" then she just told me that it was my tank and if I wanted to kill my fish it wasn't her problem. Well now look who's talking mom! :p lol. Elvis is awesome! Definitely look into getting another betta!

Ur betta is named Elvis? Haha that's the same for mr limpet betta

I heard u returned ur betta :( I'm sorry to hear that! I hope u have a better luck next time! Don't give up! We've all made the same mistake before so u ain't alone :)

Hubert90 said:
I heard u returned ur betta :( I'm sorry to hear that! I hope u have a better luck next time! Don't give up! We've all made the same mistake before so u ain't alone :)

Thanks Hubert I really appreciate everyone helping me stay positive

Wow that is really high for a betta. But I think it's gonna be really hard for u to reduce ur ph. Is ur tap water ph 8.2 as well?

I rechecked my PH and it looks like it's actually only 7.4

hmmm are they all schooling bc flames need 6 also.

I went ahead and added some friends so I now have 8 neons and 5 flames... they seem to be doing fine. I think Aquaadvisor said at least five. the neons seem to be schooling more than the flames... i suppose i could get one more flame but I'm pushing it as it is...lol once I get pleco moved I gotta get some sort of clean up crew... pleco is killin me with his forever long poop! LOL :ROFLMAO:

Sorry you had to return your little guy, Flossie. :( Hopefully you will have better luck w/ the next one you get, (if you choose to give a Betta another try in the future).

Also, Siva's post below could be what happened w/ your Betta. I strongly believe that's what also happened to mine. I didn't realize it at the time, but my Betta loved freeze dried bloodworms over Betta food, so that's all I fed him. Now I know why he passed. I have now refused to feed my new Betta anything except Betta food... he'll just need to deal. lol The peas once a week will also be put in my feeding schedule to help prevent SBD.

I do think your boy had swim bladder disease. This is very common with bettas. The lfs usually feeds them freeze dried bloodworms which only increases the chances that they will already have SBD when they get to you.

I rechecked my PH and it looks like it's actually only 7.4
It may be that you tested accurately the first time and your pH has actually changed. I'd be curious to know what it is straight from your tap.

I went ahead and added some friends so I now have 8 neons and 5 flames... they seem to be doing fine. I think Aquaadvisor said at least five. the neons seem to be schooling more than the flames... i suppose i could get one more flame but I'm pushing it as it is...lol once I get pleco moved I gotta get some sort of clean up crew... pleco is killin me with his forever long poop! LOL :ROFLMAO:

I would hold very little value in AqAdvisors advice. There are just too many factors when stocking a tank that it doesn't/can't take into account.

Yes plecos are poop machines! The best clean up crews for 10 gals are really RCS (red cherry shrimp) and a couple nerite snails IMO. There aren't many algae eating fish that are well suited to the smaller tanks.

i didnt even know that!! my betta only likes bloodworms... looks like tetrabetta food for now on.

Frozen foods are great. I feed my bettas frozen worms/shrimp twice a week or so. It's the freeze dried stuff that causes them to bloat up. They are alot like ADF's that way. In fact, freeze dried stuff really isn't good for fishies in general, but some don't seem to have frequent problems with it like others do.

Nah I'd stay away from anything dried for the bettas. I only feed small sized pellets (hikari or NLS) and frozen foods. And the peas of course.

oh darn. welp looks like it's pellets and algae wafers for him (he likes the algea wafrs i give my corys so ill keep him on those).

The malefix thing dawned on me while I was laying in bed. I treated the tank for a week with it then did a PWC ... But I read somewhere that bettas don't as strong of a dose... So I thought more FW. Might help :( tears

Ok, I can't contain myself! The "malefix" made me :ROFLMAO:! Then the 1st sentence in its entirety really made me :ROFLMAO:!

:brows:

That is an epic win for a typo! (y)

McLumpy said:
Ok, I can't contain myself! The "malefix" made me :ROFLMAO:! Then the 1st sentence in its entirety really made me :ROFLMAO:!

-blush-

Oscar4life said:
All fish are stressed when they moved around a lot and put in to new tanks get some stress coat it helps a lot with new fish

Thank u :)

siva said:
It may be that you tested accurately the first time and your pH has actually changed. I'd be curious to know what it is straight from your tap.

I would hold very little value in AqAdvisors advice. There are just too many factors when stocking a tank that it doesn't/can't take into account.

Yes plecos are poop machines! The best clean up crews for 10 gals are really RCS (red cherry shrimp) and a couple nerite snails IMO. There aren't many algae eating fish that are well suited to the smaller tanks.

Frozen foods are great. I feed my bettas frozen worms/shrimp twice a week or so. It's the freeze dried stuff that causes them to bloat up. They are alot like ADF's that way. In fact, freeze dried stuff really isn't good for fishies in general, but some don't seem to have frequent problems with it like others do.

Ok awesome ;) I'll have to get something once pleco is transferred ;) I think my ph was 8.2 from the tap. I may have to do some more research ;) lol

McLumpy said:

U had to point it out mclumpy... Lol lol it wasn't me it was my " smart phone " yikes embarrassment :)

Back
Top Bottom