Betta Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Killian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Crowntail Dragonscale male. I have had him since 12/26/12. He seems to be doing quite well, is active and getting along with his tank mates (2 Diamond Tetras, 7 Cardinal Tetras, 5 Otos in a 36 gal). Anyway, I've been reading about bubble nests. Will he attempt to make one without a female present? Just curious so I can watch for one. :)

Also, I've been a little concerned about him being overwhelmed by current in the tank - it's filtered with a Penguin 200 and a quiet flow 30. He does get pushed around by it when he's at the top, but he still comes to the top to eat and everything. Should I be concerned about current with a Betta?

Should I be concerned about current with a Betta?

Yes. If the Betta can't find a spot to be completely still with no current, the stress level will built up and he eventually will die from exhaustion.

Consider some options to reduce the flow, otherwise your fish is suffering.

You can try wrapping a sponge or something around the intake tubes of the filter or add a piece of filter pad to the outflow, like this (I did that with my betta tank, worked well). And yes males will blow a bubble nest without a female present if they are happy enough and if there isn't too much flow; mine did it quite frequently.

Yes, a betta will try to make a bubblenest without a female present. When I first moved my betta from his 1 gallon to his 5.5 gallon, he built this huge bubblenest that took up the whole back right corner.

You really should try to make at least a small zone of the tank a somewhat dead zone. Just make a small cave in the middle of a heavily planted section of your tank and your betta will greatly appreciate it. if you want something natural looking go for a hollow log with a bunch of plants around it. :)

Back
Top Bottom