Betta Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I’ve had my betta fish for about 2 months now, she was kind of unexpected so I’ve had to learn a lot along the way. These are some of the things I still have questions on:

1) What is the least stressful way to remove my fish from her tank while cleaning (I kind of feel like it’s not the best idea to leave her in there with a manual siphon but please correct me if I’m wrong)? What should I keep her in while I am cleaning? What is the least stressful way to put her back in the tank? She makes it difficult for me because when I try to put her back in all the water goes in before her and then I really have to move fast and get her in the tank.

2) What is the best way to transport her and her tank? Should I completely drain the tank?

3) How often should I change my filter cartridge in my aquarium (picture of what it looks like now attached)?

4) Do I need to change the sponge I have over the intake of the filter, and if so, how often (picture attached)? I also have a a sponge near where the water comes out so the current does not knock her over, which can be seen in the picture with the cartridge.

5) Does anyone have any experience using betta moss balls, not necessarily to maintain safe levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc. but just as a toy for the fish? I just received some as a gift and I have not put them in the tank yet. Currently they are in the container they came in with the aquarium water (picture attached). I have read things about them killing fish so I am a bit hesitant.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Attachments

• 1C423A9F-207D-4F70-B898-6AD23E8FDC83.jpg
    1C423A9F-207D-4F70-B898-6AD23E8FDC83.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 44
  • C90EAB93-0DCB-405E-BE4D-FCC38113D6C6.jpg
    C90EAB93-0DCB-405E-BE4D-FCC38113D6C6.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 63D6C5B8-63A7-42BF-A0E2-3ED15101DBD6.jpg
    63D6C5B8-63A7-42BF-A0E2-3ED15101DBD6.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 44
Leave your betta in the tank when doing a water change. Moving him causes way more stress. Change out 50% of your water weekly if your tank is cycled. More frequent water changes if the tank isn't cycled.

Are you moving soon and transporting the tank? Depending on how big your tank is, I'd leave just enough water to cover the substrate so you preserve BB. I'd put your filter and decorations in a 5 gallon bucket with dechlorinated water to preserve BB. And your betta in another container with dechlorinated water.

Just clean up your existing filter when it gets gunked up pretty good. When you clean it use old tank water or dechlorinated water. The same goes with your sponge filter. Your filter(s) doesn't look very dirty at the moment. Remember, it's storing your BB.

Betta moss balls are perfectly fine and so is floating logs.

I’m not moving but I’m a college student and I have to take my fish back and forth with me on breaks.

To take her out of the tank what would you recommend (net, cup...)?

That’s good to know about the moss balls, I wonder why there were people saying that they killed their fish. I read somewhere I need to leave them quarantined for a week, what are your thoughts on that?

Cup if you can but a net works too.

I don't know why they'd say a moss ball killed thier fish. I don't see the point in quarantine for a plant. I usually put them in a cup of dechlorinated water and clean them up then stick them in the tank. I buy the moss balls that come in a container and not out of a tank with fish.

They came in a container and they’ve been sitting in the same container with added aquarium water for over 24 hours. They smell a bit grassy but from what I can tell that’s normal. Some of the Amazon reviews were saying the smell was horrible but I’m thinking maybe that was because the plants were dead/decaying? I’m going to change her water now and then I’ll try putting one ball in. Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom