Betta with java loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would a single male betta be okay with about 3 or 4 java loaches? Pangio oblanga. They should leave one another alone, right?

10 gallon planted tank.

They should be fine. You might want to get 4 or 5 though because they like being in groups. Make sure your tank is established and you have driftwood and plants and lots of places for the loaches to hide, because they are shy and mostly nocturnal. Also make sure your water line is at or below the edge of your filter if you have a HOB filter- I have lost some loaches because they've climbed up the outflow of my filter into the motor blade.

I've got 1 already, so I'll get at least . 4 more then. I didn't know he needed companions when I got him, so the plan is to get him some friends. :)

I've got driftwood and plants, will make more hiding places for them. Tank is well established, been going for 4 years, but I want to give it an overhaul now- new substrate. Probably fine gravel.

Thanks for the tip on the filter!

No problem :) I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
One idea for hiding places that I've found works great is buying some small ceramic pots from a garden store, scoring them with a razor, and then breaking them in half. Makes perfect little caves :)

Back
Top Bottom