BGK Tank Size & A Few Small Inquiries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yubikiri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Firstly, I would like to state that I am fairly new at aquariums, and the knowledge I have on it is solely based on what I have read on various places of the internet(I've been reading a lot.)

I would like to get a black ghost knife fish. I love the way they look, their faces are so adorable! I've been reading up on them a lot recently. I understand that they will grow very large, but I was wondering what their growth rate was? At the current time, I cannot afford to get a 120 gallon like I know they need(leaving to college, and wanted to take it with me!). Could they possibly live in a 55g for around a year or so, or would they outgrow it before then? This is assuming I buy one at 1-2", no larger.

In addition, are there any recommendations for specific substrates/plants that would aid the bkg's health? I will invest in some floating plants, so it buffers the light a bit for the fish. I've heard the pH requirement is around 6-8, and on that topic, what amount of driftwood/peat moss would I need to lower the pH from the tap, 8.6?

On the topic of tankmates. I've got a rainbow shark in a 10g right now(I am aware he will get bigger as well, but at the moment he is 1" and alone in the tank), will they be alright together? I've also read that angelfish should be okay with the bkg, is this true? If so, would I be able to have both of these fish(the shark, angelfish, and anything else) grow with it in the 55g? Assuming there are no huge differences in size when I buy them. What else could these fish be kept with? If I am able to get the 55g and bgk, it will be around june, thus the shark will be growing until then.

Thank you for any help you all can provide!

EDIT: Forgot to add this. Do I need a heater if I live in Hawaii? We don't get winter here, and the temperature is usually around 75(winters)-100(summers) year around.

Last edited:
I'd get a heater just for temp stability.

I think the shark is going to stress the knife in a smallish tank. My advice is get the knife and get it acclimated. Once it is feeding and doing well for a month or two then maybe introduce the shark. I'd skip angels unless you have another tank to grow them out in.

Back
Top Bottom