Bio Magnet Clarifier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2ndtimer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all... I received my cichlid sand today and enclosed is the clarifier. I would like to try and find out if after using this product, do I still need to go through the cycling process before adding any fish. The instructions state to wait about 20 minutes and add fish. I have searched and searched for info online that will give me exact details, but there seems to be very little info available. Has anyone used this product with a new tank and what were the steps you followed. How did you handle tank cycling?? Thanks for all info..

Hi, I think that stuff is supposed to help clear the water as sand can cause cloudy water at first (especially if not rinsed properly) but I wouldn't bother using it, the sand will settle eventually and no sense adding random chemicals to the tank. This doesn't do anything to aid cycling and yes you'll still need to cycle the tank. You can do a fish-in cycle or fishless it's up to you. Read the link below in my signature: guide to starting a FW aquarium. The first thing it covers is cycling and there are links to fish-in and fishless cycle guides. Read both and see which one you'd rather do.

If this is the caribsea instant aquarium or cichlid sand stuff with the liquid in it, I wouldn't depend on it to cycle the tank. As librarygirl mentioned, read up on the guides and go from there.

It's not going to hurt anything to add the biomagnet clarifier if the water is cloudy, it is just a basic flocculant that makes small particles stick to one another so that they are easier to filter out.

I plan to rinse the sand, add clarifier, wait 24 hours and proceed with fishless cycle. I feel it is cruel and unjust to cycle with fish... Just my opinion, however :) Thanks for the helpful advice....... I am having the world's worst time finding pure ammonia.

There's a general misconception about fish in cycling being inhumane but honestly doesn't hurt a thing if its done right by a fishkeeper well informed on the process. You are free to do it however you please of course, it all leads to the same end anyhow.

I wouldn't rinse the sand if its the kind packed in liquid, its meant to go right in.

I'm sure you're right in this case; I'm just not secure enough in my experience to feel the fish would have a fighting chance :) One day soon though :)

I plan to rinse the sand, add clarifier, wait 24 hours and proceed with fishless cycle. I feel it is cruel and unjust to cycle with fish... Just my opinion, however :) Thanks for the helpful advice....... I am having the world's worst time finding pure ammonia.

Have you tried the Ace Hardware store locator to see if theres one in your area? I believe people have also found usuable ammonia at Do It Best Hardware & I think Menards (sp?) or some dollar stores. Another option is Amazon (sells Ace Hardware janitorial strength amm & few other brands). Please dont hesitate to ask questions! Good luck!

Thanks guys... There's a $ store somewhere around this area and also Lowe's. I checked Home Depot, but they didn't have any. Someone even suggested the pharmacy.... I still have a few days to search yet. We will be cleaning sand and putting in rocks and plants this weekend. I'm VERY excited and can't wait for it all to come together!!

Skip Home Depot & Lowes & save your gas- you wont have any luck at either of these places. If you have a local, mom & pop type of hardware store, I would try this first. If you have no luck, you can always try some raw shrimp if you do not want to order online/cant find anything locally. Tip on the sand- use an old pillow case to wash it in small batches. Good luck!

Thanks for the pillow case tip... I have 80 lbs to clean and this should make the job a lot easier. I will try the $ store then the pharmacy for the ammonia....

Caribsea has several different types of substrate choices on their site. If the one you are working with has liquid in the bag, then it's not meant to be rinsed prior to adding. If it is dry however, definitely rinse it before using and it'll make the process much easier.

I'm just a newb myself but thought I'd chime in. I got the Caribsea Tahitian Moon Sand and I didn't rinse it. I just dumped it in and used the clarifier and everything was settled in a couple hours. I haven't had any problems since! It looks great!

It's the caribsea Sahara sand and it is dry, but comes with the container of clarifier in each bag. It would save a lot of time if I didn't have to pre-rinse. I will be running 2 aquaclear 500 filters, so do you think I could skip the rinse?? Once it settles, I can start the cycling with ammonia a lot sooner.

Does it say on the package to pre-rinse it? I *think* that caribsea makes some effort to minimize the amount of dust and whatnot in their stuff so that clouding is minimized, and with the clarifier it should clear up.

If you do decide to rinse, just dump it in a 5 gallon bucket, stick a hose into it and just overfill it while stirring with the hose. Dump off the water (without losing the sand), and repeat a few times, that's all it takes.

2ndtimer said:
Hi all... I received my cichlid sand today and enclosed is the clarifier. I would like to try and find out if after using this product, do I still need to go through the cycling process before adding any fish. The instructions state to wait about 20 minutes and add fish. I have searched and searched for info online that will give me exact details, but there seems to be very little info available. Has anyone used this product with a new tank and what were the steps you followed. How did you handle tank cycling?? Thanks for all info..

I would test the water b4 ever putting fish in it. Even if it says its safe.

IME, the biomagnet clarifier is awesome. Definitely not something you should use post setup, but it really helps clear up the water when you first add the substrate.

I have grown tired of my gravel substrate and am looking to switch to sand. The Caribsea Cichlid sand claims to adjust Ph etc but goes for $28 for a 20 lb bag at the local fish store. Seems a wee bit excessive to me. Does it really do that much - or am I better off saving a grip of cash and going with PFS? I'm changing substrate for asthetic reasons, but my Ph lingers in the 6.2-6.5 range so having a substrate that ups that a bit would be nice (the 50 plus lbs of bog wood in my tank probably aren't helping). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom