Bio-Spira for new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thinksincode

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep reading about this "Bio-Spira" stuff. Does it really cycle the tank quickly allowing you to add fish right away?

I've lost fish to new tank syndrome in the past, so I want to prevent that, but I also don't want to wait like two months.

Welcome to AA!!

Yes Bio-Spira can work if you get a good batch of it. It must be kept refrigerated until use and you must shake it very well before you use it.

If you have access to a tank that is already established if you can get some old media from the filter it can also help you with a quicker cycle time.

First off, there are some fish that you shouldn't add to a new(ish) tank no matter what. Yes, Bio-Spira will work to establish your bacterial colony and eliminate most of the cycle, but it only works if it has been handled/shipped/stored properly. Bio-Spira MUST be kept refrigerated until you add it to your tank. This means that when your fish-store employee hands it to you, it must be cold. If not, skip it. Once it warms up, the bacteria go active and will starve if not used soon, or die outright if you overheat/freeze them.

For example, I used bio-spira halfway through the cycle on my 29G tank, and it didn't work well at all. However, that was my fault. I picked up the Bio-Spira at my local fish store after work, and then made several more stops on my way home. By the time I added it, it had been in a hot car for several hours, and was more than warm.

On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I bought some bio-spira for my 125G tank, but I didn't use it until last Friday. I took an insulated lunch bag with me to the store, with some cool packs in it, and made sure it went straight into my fridge when I got home. My cycle was complete by Sunday afternoon. I've added a good number of fish (~20), and the ammonia and nitrites are still at zero.

But as I mentioned above, there is no way I would add certain fish (such as the German Blue Rams I want) to this tank yet. The cycle may be over, but the tank is no where near stabilized or well established. That takes time.

I was planning on starting out with some hardy fish like Zebra Danios (I see them mentioned a lot).

Also, this is a smaller tank size (10 gallons) so does that affect the time it takes to cycle?

No, a small tank won't cycle appreciably faster than a big tank.

Don't pick fish unless you expect to keep them, especially in a tank that small. You won't be able to add many fish in the first place, so don't waste space on "filler fish".

Don't pick fish unless you expect to keep them, especially in a tank that small. You won't be able to add many fish in the first place, so don't waste space on "filler fish".

I was planning on keeping them. A few danios and maybe a few mollies. Would those go well together?

bio

Another vote in favor of Bio Spira. With all the conditions mentioned before. Used it 5 times, on new tanks and one that, through a blunder on my part, started a mini cycle. Worked every time.

Zebras and mollies ought to do okay together, but 10 gal is on the small size for mollies. The females can get to be a plump 3 inches long. lol A similar fish you might consider are platys. Very similar in appearance and variety. but smaller. And often a more hardy fish. Fishprofiles.com is a useful site, lots of good, basic info on fish species. And if you really want to get dizzy, search each species ........ 8O . lol Good luck!!!!

Just be careful with Platies or Mollies - you're gonna have ALOT of babies sooner than you'd think if you get any females. Ditto for guppies. You can do all male guppies just fine - I'm not sure if thats true for all male mollies or all male platies, so someone else might have a thought on that.

platys

Oh yeah!!! Babies!! Of course us guys forgot that little detail. :oops: I am not sure about all male mollies or platies, either. I have never tried it. lol Thanks for the reminder.

For Bio Spira to cycle your tank, you need to have some ammonia in the tank already. I'd add the danios, if that's what you decide on and let them stay in the tank for a week. Then go to the store and get some Bio Spira, but make sure it stays cold. I would also keep an eye on water parameters (need a test kit for this) to make sure it works and you don't have high ammonia and nitrItes.

For my 125G tank, I started the cycle fishless, using ammonia to feed the bacteria. Once that colony was well established (it would take 3ppm to 0 in about 14 hours), I waited for the nitrites to peak, then I added the bio-spira.

Actually, I overdid it on the nitrites. I knew I was over the 5 PPM max on my test kit, but it took 4 50-60% water changes to get it to 1ppm (3 to get it below 5ppm). Thats a LOT of nitrite. But the bio-spira took that down to 0 very quickly.

I hear you all on the babies - in fact, the reason I'm getting some (free) Black Mollies is because my fiancee's two Mollies had a bunch of babies!

Unfortunately they didn't research good tank mates and had a tiger barb in there as well, who promptly ate several of the frys. But they're safe and sound in a breeder tank now, I told her that I want all males once we are able to sex them, so I don't have the same problem :)

JustOneMore20 said:
For Bio Spira to cycle your tank, you need to have some ammonia in the tank already. I'd add the danios, if that's what you decide on and let them stay in the tank for a week. Then go to the store and get some Bio Spira, but make sure it stays cold. I would also keep an eye on water parameters (need a test kit for this) to make sure it works and you don't have high ammonia and nitrItes.

I'd like to clear up something:

You do NOT want ammonia in the tank before you add the Bio-Spira. It's meant to be added WITH a bio-load, not to play "catch-up" with already present ammonia. That's one of the nicest things about it: you can go buy all the fish you're planning on keeping in the tank (following common sense regarding tank size vs. bio-load, of course). The key point is B-S is meant to be added to a brand new- no ammonia present- aquarium. I've used the stuff over a dozen times with new tanks and never had a problem with it: I added the fish, then added the B-S. Instant cycled tank.

As long as you buy it from a reputable shop that's kept it in a fridge, you shouldn't have any problems with it. If your trip home is less than an hour, I wouldn't even worry about coolers and cold-packs, etc. I always take it home wrapped in a sheet of aluminum foil and placed into a paper bag. Like I said- never had a problem with it.

The bacteria in the Bio-Spira is what converts nitrites to nitrates....it doesn't do anything to ammonia. You have to have ammonia before you get nitrItes.

I had a heated discussion with someone on another board and I lost....my argument was that it starts with ammonia....but he proved me wrong.

Here is what he said...hopefully he won't mind me sharing with other people:
Bio-spira (As you have read is the bacteria under the genus Nitrospira) is the bacteria that turns, not ammonia into nitrite, but nitrite into nitrate.. The bacteria that turns ammonia into nitrite is called Nitrosomonas europae. What people fail to realize is that adding bio-spira to a tank does nothing for ammonia since nitrospira has nothing to do with ammonia... It only takes care of nitrite which is why it must be added after readings of ammonia are 0 ppm and nitrites are detcted...
Bio-Spira is Nitrospira....not Nitrosomonas.

Um, wrong. Bio-Spira is a "complete cycle in a bag", including the ammonia eaters. From their website:

PRINCIPLE INGREDIENTS:
Purified water, patented and patent pending pure strains of Nitrosomonas, Nitrosospira and Nitrospira.

JustOneMore20 said:
I had a heated discussion with someone on another board and I lost....my argument was that it starts with ammonia....but he proved me wrong.

I'd go back and prove him wrong. You were right that it does both, as src has said. It is a complete cycle in a bag, and meant to be added with fish.

From The instructions on use:

For new aquariums, first condition water with BIO-Safe™. Adjust aquarium water temperature. Add BIO-Spira™ and BIO-Coat™ along with fish.

Bio-safe is a water conditioner (prime works fine) and I would guess that BIO-Coat isn't really necessary either.

Just chiming in here....I have been cycling tanks with stability by seachem with some success...

Ah ha...so I was right.....

I will promptly go back and prove myself right....and I thought I couldn't win...

I've never used it so I can't share any results...

Yep I had a thread in the GD forum about my first time with Bio Spira. 35 hex and 4 tiger barbs and bio spiral. Completely cycled the thank in 4 days.

Great stuff!!!

I am starting a new 55gal tank. I plan to use Bio-Spira, and start with about 6 bleeding heart tetra, then wait a week or so and add a small batch of silver dollars. Is this a good strategy for a new tank?

Back
Top Bottom