Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2021, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Blue Gourami in a 20 gallon

Hi, so my problem comes from my husband and 3 year old impulsively buying a 20 gallon tank a couple nights ago. My son had been begging for a fish for over a year and after taking him to the aquarium my husband decided the time is now. I thought they'd come home with less of a challenge for me but no.
I've had tanks in the past but tetras, guppies, mollies.
I'm trying to figure out the best life for this little guy as my son is massively attached already.
When they came home many issues were brought to light, didn't buy a heater, got 3 snails for 1 blue gourami. So I sent him back to get some tetras and a heater. He came back with sharpae and now I am reading they are not great with the blue gourami.
So the tank as of now is 3 snails, 3 sharpae, and 1 blue gourami. I'm reading that the gourami likes a buddy, but I know the tank should have been bigger for this fish. I will get a bigger tank for him once he grows. But in the meantime what should I do to build a community here? Should the sharpae go back? I know the tank is to small once again,he is not full grown yet, I am willing to upgrade the tank come summer but for now I'd like to make this work. Any help at all. The information out there is really contradicting.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Yes, i think you will be looking at a tank upgrade in the future for the gourami.

As to whether the gourami and tetras (i presume you mean serpae) are compatible. Serpae tetras are generally considered fin nippers and not recommended with gourami. Saying that every fish and every tank is different, so you may be fine. You would probably be better with a larger group of tetras so they can work out their aggression between themselves, but if you wanted to err on the side of caution, seperate them, return them if you can.

Even though you have kept fish before, I'll ask. Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank?

As to building a community, dont add anything else until you are cycled sufficiently for the fish you have. Plenty of time to decide what else you want to keep.

Tags
20 gallon, blue, blue gourami, gallon, gourami, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com