Bottom dweller suggestions wanted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
So now that I've made the switch to sand, I would like a opinions/recommendations on some new bottom feeders. I've been looking at botias. I have the site that LFS orders from so I know what's available to me. Also please tell me if you think I risk over crowding. Currently I have 4 bronze and peppered cories (also considering pygmy cories here too) albino pleco and a spotted Raphael cat. The botia's I like best are the yo-yo's, queen Dario, skunk botia. Also I'm looking for a good schooling fish since I returned my serpaes. Loved their color just not their attitude. I really like the looks of rainbows, but I'm
Thinking I want a smaller fish that schools kinda tight. Other inhabitants include my 2 bolivian rams and 4 platys (including 3 fry, considering moving them back to my 10g to make more room in the 55g). Has anyone ever kept Dwarf Maccullochi Rainbows? I really like the look of them but I'm honestly stuck between them or the black ruby barbs, or any other smaller schooling fish anyone can recommend! Thanks :)

Rummynose tetras are one of the tightest schooling fish around and look incredible in larger numbers (15+). Some of my other favorite peaceful schoolers are cardinal, lemon, and diamond tetra, as well as checker, cherry, and 5-banded barbs. Lots of great rainbowfish out there too -- I'm sure Rivercats will have some great suggestions for those. Lastly, I know you mentioned you wanted smaller type fish but another schooling fish that's really beautiful is the Congo tetra.

I also rreally like the congo tetra, or the Buenos Airies Tetra; they school very tightly. I think you have enough bottom feeders already, more would overcrowd the bottom half. If you were looking for a unique schooling fish, I would add 6-8 hatchetfish, they seem to school tightly.

I also rreally like the congo tetra, or the Buenos Airies Tetra; they school very tightly. I think you have enough bottom feeders already, more would overcrowd the bottom half. If you were looking for a unique schooling fish, I would add 6-8 hatchetfish, they seem to school tightly.

I've been wanting to set up 30g again, what if I moved one or all my current schools of cories in my 30, would that allow for enough room for some botia's?

If you remove the cories it shouls be fine, although im not sure I think raphael cats get too big, but not sure.

If you move the cories you could do the yo-yo's. I love my three and they are indeed little rascals. With having a raphael cat I think you'd be wiser to stay with something like Congo tetras or the rainbowfish. I think emperor tetras would work as well. In a 55g you could actually do 6 Congo tetras (2 males-3 females) with 6 of the rainbowfish or barbs. I just don't know how the temperment of the barbs are. The color contrast of the Congo's and Barbs would be really nice.

If you move the cories you could do the yo-yo's. I love my three and they are indeed little rascals. With having a raphael cat I think you'd be wiser to stay with something like Congo tetras or the rainbowfish. I think emperor tetras would work as well. In a 55g you could actually do 6 Congo tetras (2 males-3 females) with 6 of the rainbowfish or barbs. I just don't know how the temperment of the barbs are. The color contrast of the Congo's and Barbs would be really nice.

I decided to go with black ruby barbs as my schooling fish (they were more affordable) and for now Im sticking with the bottom dwellers I currently have. I think it was bud29 would recommended them to me, whoever recommended them said they arent aggressive or nippy like tiger barbs are. I have a couple questions about plants, do you mind if I PM you?

Back
Top Bottom